Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B series rotary broom hitching up to tractor?

mwells

Does anyone have any manuels, pictures, liturature, ect on how the rotary broom mounts up to a B-12 or B-112? I have looked at pictures and called sweepster, but they don't have any infromation on the B-series hitch. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I would say it would hook up and be driven basicaly the same as a snow blower. If it was mine that is where I would start by useing a blower hitch and adapting it to the sweeper.

Well the guy at sweepster said some use a belt system and others use a belt and gearbox system, I know that the 700 and 900 series used a gear box and belt system, and the 300 and 400 series used only a belt. As for the B-series I'm not sure. I would like to keep it original, as the b-series sweepster had a metal cover, and the 300/400/700/900 series had a fiber glass cover. I have a 300/400 series hitch, but that was for the electric clutch type mowers, and I'm assumming that it would work on the 700/900 series as well with the cone clutch. It has a spring on it to keep the belt tight at all times, unlike the b-series that in the litureature it looks like there was a lever to engage and disengage the sweepster like a over center type system. There is a belt running off the engine pulley down under the frame, and it kind of looks like there might be a gearbox there as well, but I can't tell in the picture. Its mostly just side veiws of the tractor and sweepster, so there arn't any good pictures of the hitch/drive set up.

Like Maynard said, it appears to be a similar drive to the snowblower from what I could tell from blowing up the picture located here. http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/rotary_broom.htm It appears to have the single belt clutch setup.

I have a friend that has one for the B series. I will have him send me a picture of the hitch and I will post it for you. His has the plastic cover as well so they must have changed to that at some point in time when they were building the B series tractors.

Rays, by chance you didn't see if the gear box is a ratio gear box did you? By that I mean, is 1 turn on the input shaft equal to 1 turn on the output. I'm also trying to set up a broom on my 3200 series, but the angle box on my sweepster is just that, no gear reduction. So if I run it direct from my front pto, I thnim the broom would be spinning too fast.

Mark, I am not sure but wil check and see the next time I go over there. It maybe a couple of weeks. I email him and see if he knows.

Mark I think that you will find that the ratio reduction is in the P.T.O. pulleys. The drive pulley is smaller than the driven pulley. IE. the pulley in the picture looks to be a 5" pulley which would be the correct reduction for a B series also your 3200 series with the standard 3½" engine mounted P.T.O. pulley.

Thanks for the picture! As for the gear box raito, its 3:1 for those that use the gearbox, at least thats what the books say, other wise its just reduced from different sized pulleys with the 100% belt driven hitches.

Thanks for the gear ratio. I have one that does not have a ratio in the angle box, it originally was set up for a Ford tractor with a 540 pto. If I were to run it as is, my brushes would be spinning 3 times faster than what they are designed for. That could get imteresting.