Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

will this s/g work?

ringram

I need to replace my starter/generator on my Allis Chalmers B-10. I found this on e-bay, and I believe it is correct, but thought I check with the experts first. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130139657575&rd=1&rd=1

He says it is for a cub cadet which uses counter clock wise rotation, But then he states the stater is clock wise rotation which is what Simplicity uses. If it truley is a C/W rotation starter it will work. Clock wise rotation is looking at his picture the shaft turns to the right.

The shipping is pricey outside the lower 48. You might want to check the Yellow Pages and see if there is a local shop that can bench test it and rebuild it for you.

The starter went on mine the day my uncle delivered it to me - we had to push it off the trailer. I had it rebuilt and I think it was around $125 or so to have it redone and had a new wiring harness also. Ran great until it took the whole thing apart a month ago to rebuild the whole thing - hopefully it starts when I put it back together.

Bearing, brushes, a dab of grease and a general cleaning will fix 99.99999% of them anyway, why bother replacing it with something that 'may work'?

My old one has a shorted starter coil, brushes are getting low, and probably could use new bearings. The best local price I could find is $160 to rebuild it.

There is actually a s/g on ebay today - saw it before - and its the one that you need. It was at $33 when I saw it. Check there.