Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brinly plow ?

Bunky

I'm getting ready to clean up and paint a Brinly plow for the Wards squire I'm working on and had a couple of questions.... 1) What have others used for painting the Molboard? 2) What do you do about a rusty "U" bolt for the Coulter???

for show or to work? If for work I don't think you want to paint the parts that get shiny with anything, old oil between seasons. If for show, then back to the original paint. -Don

At the farm stores there is what they call a soft black paint for painting the plow molboard, it will come right off in dirt.

Don is correct. You don't want to paint the scouring side of the moldboard or share if it's going to be used. There is a special paint you can get at most farm equipment dealers, but the moldboard needs to be shined up first. A wire brush, then either steel wool or fine (400 grit or finer) sandpaper does well. The paint is a soft, flat finish paint used mainly to prevent rust while the plow is not in use. It scours off easily when you start plowing. As to the rusted U-bolt, use penetrating oil or heat. If it's really rusted, cut or split the nuts to remove them. Wire brush and chase the threads.

I am getting ready to do the same. Good information. "Chase the threads"? Not familiar with the term. Does that mean to use a die? Are these U-bolts no longer available?

on further reflection IF I was restoring a Brinly for show I'd shine the share and moldboard almost to a chrome shine (as Pat describes) and wax it. That shine is part of what made Deere's plow such a huge innovation in the mid 1800's and is highly prized by farmers to this day - if shiny it will work (scour), if rusty or even dull the soils will stick. A plow used a lot will keep shiny on its own. -Don

I went to the local Farm store today and I found some of the "plow Paint, I'm going to use that on the Molboard, and the adjusting handle and coulter clamp are pretty rusty I think I'm going to paint them just gloss black....

quote:
Originally posted by ibelee
. "Chase the threads"? Not familiar with the term. Does that mean to use a die?
That is correct. Be sure to turn the die CW only 1/4 turn at a time then back off CCW to clean and keep from galling the old threads.

• 2 weeks later...
Well heres the plow after cleaning and painting I used the soft paint on the moldboard and it needs another coat, will do that when I put the coulter back on...
[img]/club2/attach/Bunky/DSCN1658.JPG[/img]

I just sandblasted and painted the U bolt and clamp, I tried to find a new locally but no one seems to have one that big, on the bottom it says 7/8 So I'm assuming it's 7/8" clamp but the handle and adjuster on the back was rusty and loosing it's coating so I just blasted and painted those too..