Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Drive belt for Mackissic

ambler

Hate to say it but Simplicity doesn't list a belt # for it. I would take the belt and got to a Farm supply store and have it measured and buy a good quality equipment belt not a fractional HP belt.

• 1 month later...
Maynard, I talked with MacKissic's old gentleman. He said it was a 5L 70H belt 5/8" by 87" I just picked up the gates belt 6987 lets see if that works strange he gives me 5L 70H but says its 87"?

I just bought a new belt for mine not long ago, but I do not have the measurement handy to me at this time. It makes a difference (in length) if your using a variable/hydro or a straight 3 speed. I think that I used a piece of string to get a rough measurement. As soon as I have the belt # I'll put it here.

Ambler, Do you have the pulleys that came with it? I bought one and didn`t get them with mind when I bought it, so I made this idler from a tiller idler bracket that i straightened out then I bought a torsion spring part number 1707593 that goes on a 36" tiller mfg. no. 1691978. I made this setup because I could engage it from the cone clutch (another reason I like RBT`s). If you need measured drawings of the pulleys that are used on FDT`s let me know and I can either email them or post them.

I did get it with pulleys for FDT and I was lucky that the HB212 had a second pulley. I'll see if I can get a pic. I would like to make a set up for a RBT. I just acquired a trailer mounted unit for mounting on a tractor.

Thanks Maynard, I am considering duplicating the factory Idler. I did mount the 87" belt and it worked fine on the HB212 an inch or two shorter wouldn't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I would share this. Picked up another Mackissic with the chipper. Motor didn't run, but who cares. Only one way to test it mount it up.

I'm going to mate it to this from a shredder.

Well it looks like you have to change the mackissic drive pulley. Looks like simplicity chipper uses a 5" 5/8s pulley and with engine its a 6" 1/2 pulley. Roy I have two trailer mounted chipper/shredders, one runs and the latest that I haven't messed with the engine. I also picked up a simplicity shredder no chipper to get my hands on the mount and pulleys. Now I'm doing phase two.

Shaft on chipper shredder is 1 3/16". Shaft on Shredder is 1". Original driven pulley on my Simplicity Mackissic is 5.5" with type B Belt (21/32). Original driven pulley on my Engine driven Mackissic is 7" with 1/2" belt. Picked up a 5.5" Browning cast pulley with 1 3/16" split taper bushing. Pics to follow.

First split the trailer

Then mount hanger on chipper shredder, note I left trailer wheels on Mackissic.

Here's a detail of new pulley, belt etc.

HB212 Yard mule with front hitch and chipper shredder, think I'll mount grader blade as well.

Hey Ambler, I may pay you a visit, so I can measure the brackets and see them for myself. Did you leave your back wheels attached? jh

John, I left back wheels on and they haven't got in the way yet. Helps withmoving it around and mounting it.

John This will save you a trip Technical Tips & Articles Chipper/Shredder grinder Hitch Drawing http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65365

I also have the rear wheels on one of my shredder grinders and on my chipper shredder. The are so much easier to move around and hook up. This is also the same hitch that is used with the 5KW 110/220V Alternator.

Also used to mount a pump

Maynard, Where do you get 3x3x1/8" thinest I've seen is 3/16 angle. Is that folded sheet metal? Do you have drawings on the pulley system?

Ambler, Thicker 3 x 3 angle can be used. The important dimension is the width of the chipper housing between the angle iron pieces.