Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tips for Degreasing and Painting Transmission

adamf203

I have a B212 and I am nearing the point were i need to clean up the rear end on the tractor. I bought some degreaser from Wal-Mart and it doesnt seem to work very well. Is it just poor quality or is that the degreasers nowadays arent as strong as the ones in the past. What do you guys use to clean? If I power-wash it will that help? Also, can you just use a good quality rattle-can? Do you need to prime? Lastly, 1st gear is hard to engage and disengage. I can get it in, but it doesnt seem like it is all the way in. And you have to really hit it to get it out. Is there anything you guys can think of that could cause this? Thanks

On rough cast items, I use $1 cans of oven cleaner from the Dollar general or Dollar Tree. Leave it on 4 or 5 minutes & hose it off. It will discolor aluminum if left on too long. Sounds like time to split the trans & give a good going over. Likely when you get in there you'll see what's up with the hard shifting.

quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand
On rough cast items, I use $1 cans of oven cleaner from the Dollar general or Dollar Tree. Leave it on 4 or 5 minutes & hose it off. It will discolor aluminum if left on too long.
Oven Cleaner Works Great... I have used it on a lot of greasy jobs..

quote:
Originally posted by adamf203
Then do you just wash it off with a garden hose??
Spray on the brake clean, and wipe it down with a shop rag.

Would this be something you'd do for a full restore only? In other words, my workin' tractor seems to have nicely self-protected the transmission with a film of oil and grease. I really don't see it rusting and it IS mostly black already. The purdy parts I can see sanding and painting as they rust.

I like to use a product called Simple Green, I use it to degreese the engine compartments on both of my vehicles every couple of months so that when I work on them I don't wind up with greese up to my elbows. I do not dilute it, but use it full strength. It is also environmentally safe if that is a concern for any of you.

I generally use diesel fuel and a stiff parts cleaning brush on the initial cleaning followed by liquid degreaser and a pressure washer. I've always thought by using a brush you do a better job on the nooks and crannies. Set a large drain pan under the transaxle to catch the runoff. Dave

I grabbed a can of the oven cleaner - that is some strong strong chemicals. I never realized how good that stuff works. Someone must have painted some of the small bolt on parts, and the cleaner ate right through it. I bought a can of engine brite and I am going to give it a try tomorrow to get the last of the gunk off. I will post my results.

• 3 weeks later...
I've had good luck with Castrol Super Kleen, the stuff in the purple bottle. Wear gloves as it will also degrease your skin and cause it to crack.

Superclean works great but it does a number on the hands/skin if not gloved..Even w'mrts own superclean version works fairly well.Rustoleums satin black for a clacker spritz bomb is good for trans,eng paint,.