Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 Pow'rmax Pump/Hydro Problems

mdmre

I just noticed today a steady clicking from what I can determine is the hydro motor. With the 3-speed transmission in neutral, pushing the hydro lever causes the clicking to start and it increases in frequency with the higher speed setting of the lever. It also makes the same sound in reverse. Using the hydraulic levers for lifting does not produce any noises. Given these conditions, I am thinking the pump is ok, as well as the rear end / transmission and the problem is the hydro motor between the pump and transmission. Does this sound correct? Does this mean I have a very short time before it completely quits moving? Right now, everything works as it should, just a noisy clicking sound. Is there anything in this hydro motor that can be rebuilt or does the entire unit have to be replaced? Does anyone know if this part can still be bought from a dealer? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

You have a drive shaft with a fiber disc on one end and a clutch mechanism at the other I would check there first since the noise does not occur with hydraulic useage.

As said above check the simple external stuff first. If it is inside the pump/motor the longer you run it the more damage you will do. It will also contaminate the oil with small micron sized debris that will be very difficult to flush out in the event you must repair or replace the hydro unit.

I have found three of the fiber disks under the tractor and all three appear to be in good contidion. Are there more than three?