Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
skunkhome

"new" rollers

skunkhome
I resently purchased some rollers for my mower on ebay. I was one of only two bidders and the bid was run up within $.01 of my maximum just minutes before closing. Does that sound a bit fishy? These rollers were listed as used on e-bay but they did not have a mark on them and no wear on the bushings as well. I guess I still got them at a better than new price and as far as I can see they are new. I was wanting some of the longer rollers to replace the rollers on the main roller shaft but the rollers were all 4". I thought that wasn't a good thing until I pulled the old rollers off and realized the tremendous wear on the shaft under the "bearing" bushing locations. It turns out that by using the new 4" rollers instead I was shifting the bearing points to new un-worn areas of the shaft and thus restoring the original height of the mower. Instead of having 3 long rollers I have 5 short ones.

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
You can replace that shaft with 5/8" cold rolled steel pretty easily. I believe they are around $40.00 new.
My expertise is in carpentry and related crafts. The closest I have ever been to being a welder is, I sold high class stick rod in the 80'S. Maybe it is time to take up a new skill. I'd probably be 80 before I were any good at it.