Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 Early?

CHolmes

How can I tell the difference between a B-19 early and the later model? The decals are gone so is there any physical difference? I also need a good picture that shows proper paint colors for the tractor. I think mine is an early but just want to confirm.

quote:
Originally posted by CHolmes
How can I tell the difference between a B-19 early and the later model? The decals are gone so is there any physical difference? I also need a good picture that shows proper paint colors for the tractor. I think mine is an early but just want to confirm.
If the motor and transmission are originally yellow than it is likely an early model.

http://www.simpletractors.com/models/ac_b-series.htm There is the Early B-10, Big ten, and Late B-10 categorys.

quote:
Originally posted by CHolmes
Yup it was all yellow. Any place to get a really clear picture?
If it is all yellow it could be a Big Ten or early B-10 . If it has the original grill the Big Ten had an "open grid" while the early b-10 had a grill made of "expanded metal" (aluminum). Also the early B-10 was the last model to carry the old style AC logo.

• 2 weeks later...
It is all yellow so Big 10 or early B 10. There is no grille or decals left. Someone painted with a brush. Are Big 10's and B 10"s the same physically? This one has a rounded hood, starter button and a pull start on the trans if needed.

Yellow running gear was step number 1. Without tin and decals on it, or an engine in it, you'll have to look closer. Next, look at the steering gear at the bottom of the steering shaft. If it is a round, cast-iron piece with teeth all the way around it, it is an early B-10. If the steering gear is kind of pie-shaped, about 1/4 of a circle, then it is a Big Ten...