Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigdan

hello.....

bigdan
just joined up... i bought an Allis Chalmers garden tractor today & i'm starting to look for info. the model number seems to be gone, i think it's a 416H, but all i have is a serial number. is there a cross reference somewhere? it has some wiring issues (mice!).. so i have to start there. where's a good place to pick up a service manual? it looks to be a sweet old gal.. decent shape (poor orange repaint in the past), i got a mow deck with it... 3 blades with discharge on the left. (!?!) anyway i hope to fix it up... it's got be a LOT better than that MTD thing i've been using!:)

skunkhome
Welcome to the forum! I would expect the 416h to have a mower that discharges to the right, but I guess someone could design a cross over drive which would run a LH mower modified to fit the tractor. Is the mower driven off a front mounted PTO or center mounted? If you have the Mfg# you can look at the X-reference charts on www.Simpletractors.com. BTW, around here we don't mention Allis Chalmers, Simplicity and that other thing in the same paragraph. It is just undignified to do so. LOL If you like the forum I would recommend you invest $10 in a club membership and gain access to all the clubs forums as well as rights to post pictures. It will be the best $10 you will spend on your tractor.

bigdan
OK.. great info! 716H 1690211 (SN4301-5997) 7016 1690427 16 HP, Hydro, ML 1979(from the charts you mentioned) on the number plate is 1690211-005286. if i'm interpreting that correctly, it looks like a 716H from 1979. i hope that's a good model. and ami not a member? i signed up, have a user name, log-in, & verified my email address. i'll get some pics soon. thanks for the help! i'm really looking forward to this project. i build old honda 750 choppers as a hobby, and the tractor will be a nice change.

RedbarnRick
Dan Welcome to the club this site is the best $10 you've ever spent! The 716 and the 3400 series simplicity are real work horses, You can still get tillers snow plows and blowers for them fairly easily. With your mfg. number you can plug it into the Simplicity Technical Publications and get your owners manual, right on the Simpletractors home page.

skunkhome
Bigdan, That would be a late model 700 series Allis. All the large frame tractors had the same basic design which IMHO are very good designed. I think a good model for any of us is one that suits our fancy. Some like the early models, so called "Foot Draggers" while others prefer the "Running board" models such as the 700 series. I like the looks of the early A-C 700's and the 3300, 3400 and early 7000 Simplicities but prefer the simplicity of the pre 1965 tractors. I would suppose your tractor looks something like this (with or without the owner installed stack)

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by bigdan
and ami not a member? i signed up, have a user name, log-in, & verified my email address. i'll get some pics soon.
Bigdan, I don't want to be argumentative but I believe you are a Forum member. To be a club member and participate in all the forums and post photos on threads you must be a dues paying, club member. You may elect to remain simply a forum member and continue to post and answer posts as you do now. We are glad to have you here regardless.

Bunky
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Welcome to the forum!
You will enjoy the site, and I agree that the $10 is a good investment, there a lot of help full members and info on this site...

UCD
Welcome to the site.
quote:
Originally posted by bigdan
and ami not a member? i signed up, have a user name, log-in, & verified my email address. i'll get some pics soon.
There are 3 levels, Casual Visitors, Registered Users & Club Members. (IE dues paying member) No you are not a Club Member. You are a Registered User. Only Club Members are allowed to upload or post links to personal pictures and Club Members are not allowed to post pictures or links to pictures for non Club Members. They are explained here with corresponding benefits. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/membership_benefits.asp

bigdan
thanks for the clarification folks!sm01 i just paypal'd 10 bucks for the upgrade. AND, thanks for the welcome & all the great info so far too! skunkhome... that looks just like it, with exception of the stack of course. mine has a brand new set of ag style tires on it. (i think that's what ya call them... not turf tires anyway) the hood decals are partially gone on mine, and it has a white, fold down back rest, seat (looks like a wal-mart fishing boat seat...probably is).

HubbardRA
Very good tractor you have. I have a 716H, a 713S, and a 7116H. I also have a 1961 Wards Squire, which is actually a Simplicity 700. I think you will be very pleased with this style tractor. Welcome to the Club !!

DMedal
Dan is, of course, thinking "what's this with more than one tractor and addictions?" Then comes soon the day another tractor flirts its way into his life, and of course you need a donor next...

bigdan
i do have two "lawn tractors" besides the AC. a '96 ranch king 16HP(MTD) 4 wheel steer that is really a POS. XX( constanly fixing something on it. and an '84 huskee 12HP (i think made by white) that is a decent little mower. but now i have a REAL tractor!sm06 step one... getting a manual.....