Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Chrome Exhaust pipe extension

skunkhome

I read in one of the threads someone mention that they had a Chrome exhaust pipe extension on their 7000 series tractor to extend through the hole in the side of the hood. Does someone have pictures of this modification? I would like to see how it interfaces with the exhaust pipe and still allows the hood to be tilted forward. I would like to have one on my 3414 as the exhaust pipe does not line up squarely with the hole in the hood and leaves exhaust residue all over the hood.

Phil, That is my tractor. I may have to take some pictures for you to show you the inside of the hood. Basically I put the pipe thru the hole and welded on the inside of the hole flare. There is a pipe sticking inward which I notched to go over the tip of the muffler when the hood is closed. The pipe that goes thru the hole is larger than the pipe on the muffler. The exhaust still shoots thru the hole with the chrome extension on it just like it went thru the hole in the hood. I had to repaint the section of the hood where the pipe is located after I did the welding. Here is a picture from Spring Fling 06, where you can see the chrome pipe. The pipe is from a motorcycle. The flat ring around the pipe is one that is normally used with a bathroom sink drain where it goes thru the wall or the floor.

That is kinda what I fugured. I was thinking of using a 1 1/4" chrome plated brass drain pipe with a flange braised on the inside then bolt it in place. Please don't laugh at my drawing...

quote:
Originally posted by JoeJ
:DRod, every time I see that pic, I think of making up a air cleaned like yours!!:D I really like that touch.
yeah, what IS that?

Phil, your sketch shows basically what I have. I have a unit similar to the one you sketched that I am going to put together to go on another tractor. Don, the air cleaner is a stock unit with the snorkel from an air cleaner that was on a Chevy engine welded to it, then smoothed up with body putty, and painted. Both were just crazy ideas I had when building that tractor. I just do things like that sometimes. Did any of you guys notice the unique, homemade, AC decal between the headlights, or the aluminum plug in the hood where the gas gauge once was, or the 26x12x12 turf tires mounted on the 12 inch wide wheels on the rear, or the fender flares on the rear fenders? You can't see the reflectors on the rear fenders that look like taillights, or the aluminum plate that covers the dash.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA Did any of you guys notice the unique, homemade, AC decal between the headlights, or the aluminum plug in the hood where the gas gauge once was, or the 26x12x12 turf tires mounted on the 12 inch wide wheels on the rear, or the fender flares on the rear fenders?
1. Yes 2. Thought it was a fancy gas cap 3. no 4. looks stock, I was thinking that was different model or something. NICE work! would this be called hacking or is it too pretty for that term?

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Did any of you guys notice the unique, homemade, AC decal between the headlights, or the aluminum plug in the hood where the gas gauge once was, or the 26x12x12 turf tires mounted on the 12 inch wide wheels on the rear, or the fender flares on the rear fenders? You can't see the reflectors on the rear fenders that look like taillights, or the aluminum plate that covers the dash.
That must be your Sunday "go to Meeting" tractor.

Rodney and All, Which do you like the best, A or B? Or do they both look like plumbing from under the kitchen sink?

I like how it directs all the exhaust gas out from under the hood.

I like "B" Phil, I made an extension pipe from roofing tin for my 712,its a friction fit and I pull it off when I raise the hood, but chrome looks a lot better. :) Stan

quote:
Originally posted by haykarenhardy
I like "B" Phil, I made an extension pipe from roofing tin for my 712,its a friction fit and I pull it off when I raise the hood, but chrome looks a lot better. :) Stan
I kinda lean toward "b" myself. The extension is a 1 1/2" chrome plated brass tail piece, (plumbing) Like you I can just pull it off before opening the hood. I ran the tractor for about an hour with it in place and it never fell off but I think I am going to rivet a spring in the throat to add friction. With my luck it would fall off while mowing and become a chrome plated missile.

I vote for B also. I don't like the looks of a flare on this setup. Tried that on mine, but liked the slash cut better. Sorry that I didn't get back sooner. I have been out of town for a couple days, getting my youngest son moved into college. Got home late this evening.