Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ChrisReyn

Hi, and Gotta couple questions...

ChrisReyn
Hi! new member here, and I have some questions about my tractor.. Unknown year Deutz-Allis 1918, which, if I understand correctly, is the same as the Simplicity Sunstar with a different paint job. It has the Kohler M18S engine and the 48" mower deck and it has 1350 hors on it. I mow with it(3 acres) and use it to disc the horse training pen, pull carts full of manure when cleaning stalls and general chores around the place. Over the last month it has begun backfiring and then wouldn't start, so I took it to a local tractor shop and they rebuilt the carb. It ran fine for a few days, then began backfiring again. Sunday afternoon while mowing, it backfired died and now wont start. It is blowing oil and gas back up thru the carb bowl and when I pulled the plugs, it wasn't making enough compression to push my fingertip off the plug hole....so i think I need an new engine. I am considering one of the repower kits with the Honda engine because I haven't been able to find anyone closer than a 6 hour drive that says they can rebuild the Kohler. And 4 tractor shops have told me that they wont rebuild the older Kohler's and that complete engines are very hard to find. The repower kit is $1650 and the only "new" engine I could find for this tractor is a 16 horse and they want over $2600 for it.. Soooo, My question is, is an engine with that many hours on it worth putting a lot of money( that I don't have) into? I am not worried about the Honda being too much for the drive train or anything, but would prefer to keep the unit as original as possible if that is practical. How hard are these to rebuild and are there "rebuild kits' out there.

UCD
Welcome to the site May I suggest you get in touch with Al Eden a member here and owner of Edens Ltd. & Repower Engineering. The Solutions People Products for replacing yesterday's engines today! Al can answer all of you questions and help you decide on the best direction for you. 201 Mechanic Street Anamosa, IA 52205-1776 Phone 1-319.462.2214 Toll free 1-800-462-2218 Fax 1-319-462-.2109 http://www.edensltd.com/ Repower engineering 201 Mechanic Street Anamosa, IA 52205-1776 Phone 1-319.462.2214 Toll free 1-800-462-2218 Fax 1-319-462-.2109 http://www.repowereng.com/repowereng/

mwells
I know you can get the overhead kohler commands yet, and they will drop right in your Ultima. Yours is a flat head kohler magnium, the over head valve engines replaced those when they went to the Agco-Allis 1920. I have had great luck with my two kohler command engines, ones a 20hp, and the others a 25hp. I think the kolher would be quicker and easier to switch then the honda, but I've never been around the hondas either. Just a thought, hope it helps!

D-17_Dave
Before you look into replacing the engine I'd suggest trying to properly diagnose the problems you have with your engine. It would seem that you have a decent engine and the problem has come on rapidly but as of yet isn't catastrophic such as a rod or piston. Lets look at it some. Have you pulled the heads off and done a visual inspection. When you turn the engine over do both pistons move? Is there any bad scratches in the cyl. walls? Sounds to me with the described symptoms that you may have a burnt or stuck valve. Carbon and oil buildup on the valve stems will cause the valves to stick. Also could be some debris blocking the valve/s from closing. All this can be done by anyone with limited mechanical experience. Jump in and see what you have and let us know. Then you can make the best decision for your money.

ChrisReyn
We have decided to replace the engine,several shops have said that 1300 hours is pretty "high milege" anyways and I like the idea of having more torque than what the M18 puts out. I think we are gonna go with a Honda GX series since they run in the same RPM range.