Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
cadman

10 hp governor adjustments

cadman
I am trying to adjust the governor on a 10 hp Briggs engine on a 3210v. When I bought the tractor the governor control lever was loose and the springs were hanging so I don't really know what position the springs need to be at. I looked in an older Briggs service manual and found a really simple procedure involving maxing out the throttle and adjusting the governor control lever, I tried various spring positions and still have no governing of the engine. I tried that procedure however it still doesn't work as good as my 64 landlord governor works. Is there a more detailed procedure on governor adjustments, along with how to troubleshooting? Also in looking at my 64 Landlord governor it appears as if there is some fairly strong spring action that is inside the engine block acting on the shaft that the lever is clamped to. Should the lever that is clamped onto the shaft have some springing action in one direction like my 64 Landlord does? Any help on this subject would be most helpful. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, Colin Morris