Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" Snow Blower Rebuild - HELP!

Gary

Getting around to rebuilding the 42" Snow Blower I picked up this past Spring. Thought I'd better get it started...as long as it took me to finish up the 48" Deck. It's not in bad shape. Just needs cleaned up a bit. I'd like to put a 5" pulley on it. That would make the snow fly. But, would it do any damage to the bearings?
[img]/club2/attach/Gary/42SnowBlr1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/SnowBlr2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/42SnowBlrID.jpg[/img]
I got the GM door window motor last Spring on e-bay. It was brand new (or close), and only cost me $9.50, including shipping. I've got it completely disassembled, ready to sand blast. I'd like to get new bearings for the auger,but the ID tag isn't in very good shape. Even with my reading glasses on, it's hard to make out the numbers. I think the ID is 1690032, and ths S/N is 011485. Would this be correct for a 42" Blower? Your help will be greatly appreciated.:)

• 4 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by Gary I think the ID is 1690032, and ths S/N is 011485. Would this be correct for a 42" Blower?
It would. Go to the Manuals section under the SimpleTractors link above and enter that number in Simplicity's site to get your parts list. Faster speed isn't going to help your bearings, more of an issue is probably making the rocks and forgotten toys fly in addition to snow. Probably someone here has tried upping the blower speed. There's nothing that can be done that someone here hasn't tried. Getting them to admit it might be an issue. sm01 -Don

The auger bearings for all the blowers are the same going way back. I believe this is a Simplicity 7790 running a 42" blower with a 5" pulley. the owner will recognize the pictures and could confirm it. [img]/club2/attach/UCD/snowblower%201.jpg[/img]

Any idea how much faster that will make the auger turn? I am not up on the specs of the bigger blowers, but I have a 3-belt that I have fixed up for this winter and it only turns about 950 rpm at the auger. I have seen an AC spec sheet on this site or the simple tractor site (here, I found the link) [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/snowthrower_specs.htm[/url] That states max rpm is 1250, so I have no concerns upping the speed to at least that. Al Eden on this site has run a blower off a mid PTO and said that it will really lob the snow. No idea how much faster that one would spin. He said he never had trouble with it, but I don't know how long he ran it like that. I am planning to increase speed to 1500 rpm and see how that works. The bearings for the auger are not terribly beefy (in my opinion) and there is a lot of rotating mass that I am sure is not precision balanced. However, I don't have to blow a lot of snow and I expect that even a shortened bearing life will give me many years of service. Matt

I assure you the bearings are plenty rugged enough. I have run these blowers for over 30 years and put them through 20 times what the normal user would and I am not easy on them and they take it. I have over 5000 hours on my 7790, all blower time. The local dealer that I bought the 7790 new from in 1985 doesnt believe what I have done with that tractor and blower and he has seen me do it.

Thank you for your help! I've downloaded the manuals. Now, to find some bearings. Any viable replacement bearings available, other than Simplicity?

Going from a 7" diameter driven pulley to a 5" diameter pulley will increase the speed by the inverse of the pulley diameters (7/5=1.40, a 40% increase in speed) keeping the driver pulley the same. The pulley ratio method assumes the belt sits in the pulley groove the same for both pulleys and the effective pulley diameter is 7" and 5". Usually the belt sits "in" the pulley a bit and the effective diameter is different. If you want a more accurate calculation, measure the length of belt for a full wrap of each pulley and divide the belt lengths.

You also need to keep in mind that the faster you run the blower, the more power it's going to take to move the snow. My 917 has been repowered with an 18 horse engine. I ran with a 5" pulley on the blower for a time. It blew the snow just as far, if not farther than the photos Maynard posted. I gained snow throwing distance, but had to slow my ground speed down to keep my power up.

In place of increasing RPM on a blower, wouldn't you be just as well off using the rubber paddle extension on your center flite (sp?) to reduce the throwing clearance to near zero? That should reduce the blow by and increase the effective speed of the snow. Jim

The reason I'm putting a 5" pulley on this blower, is a matter of economics. I had an old 36" blower. Last year, I hit a steel survey pin in the street and bent the blower frame (badly, bruised ribs and all). I used the 16 lb. persuader to straighten the frame enough to finish the year. The belt that was on the blower had about 6 hrs. run time, and I also had a brand new belt in reserve. So, I saved the 5" pulley and guide from the 36" blower to mount onto the rebuilt 42" blower, so I don't need to buy new belts.:D

Take a look at the geared rotator post I submitted, it's now in tech tips it's works great and is worth the effort, parts are about $50.