Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's it worth?

MisterB

I have a 1978 Simplicity 7014S that I'd like to sell now that I have a brand new tractor, but I have absolutely no idea what the value of this machine actually is. Aside from the "It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it", I'm trying to figure out what a fair asking price should be. I thought perhaps those of you who may have bought or sold similar equipment might be able to help? - 1978 Baron 7014S - 14HP B&S - Shuttle drive - 48" Mower Deck (No holes or patches, Gator Blades + original set) - 42" Snowthrower (All original hitch) Any idea what a fair price for the whole lot should be? [img]/club2/attach/MisterB/Image01.JPG[/img]
[img]/club2/attach/MisterB/Image02.JPG[/img]
[img]/club2/attach/MisterB/Image07.JPG[/img]
[img]/club2/attach/MisterB/Image08.JPG[/img]

I think I got $735 for the below package....I was a bit dissapointed, but that is the free market at work. Personally, I suspect there is a lot of shenanigans with e-bay and possibly wide-spread shill bidding....but mine was legit - hence the disappointment. But a good guy and new member won it, and I basically broke even on the deal. It will vary by geographic area, but the guy who won my auction traveled 200 miles to get it. The package included: 1 strong 716 hydro transmission 1 rear lift 1 complete snow cab 1 42 inch snow thrower 1 48 inch deck with new blades 1 Vacuum collector 1 spare front clip All original manuals
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/716.jpg[/img]

I'm thinking in the $750.00 range. Beautiful tractor, but the average buyer will say "it's almost 30 years old, I can buy a new BrandX for $$......" Plus many won't understand the shuttle system.

You could also ask a simplicity dealer what they would sell it to you for and compare to the price ranges that you get here. Try selling in a auto trader magazine that also sell lawn equipment. I have had good luck in them.

quote:
Originally posted by MisterB
quote:
Originally posted by dirtmister16
where are you located
Milwaukee, WI.
You are right down the road, Dirtmister16, go fer it! time for a meeting of the "misters"

Goatfarmer, I totally agree with you, especially on the shuttle system. I have let my neighbor borrow mine and when I have tried to sell mine, I cringe when I hear the gears grind. Once the shuttle is figured out it seems so simple, but trying to explain how to use it is tough. When I tried to sell my 7013 on ebay, the bidding didn't get over $350, or around there, that was spring of 06. My reserve was higher so I still have the tractor. This is the condition of mine, just to give you an idea.

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
I'm thinking in the $750.00 range. Beautiful tractor, but the average buyer will say "it's almost 30 years old, I can buy a new BrandX for $$......" Plus many won't understand the shuttle system.
I too was thinking around $750. BUT in reality comparing it to newer "less heavy built" units, in reality it has a much higher value....to me anyway. Most people just don't understand the value of this heavy older equipment. It can be rebuilt over & over to last a lifetime whereas newer stuff isn't worth rebuilding or built to be.

quote:
I too was thinking around $750. BUT in reality comparing it to newer "less heavy built" units, in reality it has a much higher value....to me anyway. Most people just don't understand the value of this heavy older equipment.
I think there is a difference between "what will it likely sell for" vs "what is it worth". For members of this club it is worth more than a new MTD equivalent. But that doesn't mean we'd pay that much, because there are others available at a lower price. Free market thing. $750 seems good, maybe a little lower. I think midwest prices tend higher sometimes because there are more tractors out east and not so far to drive.

Very nice looking tractor! Around here in the MO-IL area I would expect a good Simplicity dealer to ask $700-$900 for something like that. The sovereign was only discontinued 7 years ago and these late 7000 series still appear fairly modern and sell pretty good. If you can hold off until spring you'll probably have an easier time selling it.

This past Spring I sold a 3410 Landlord (10 horse Briggs single) 3-speed, included 48" deck, and tire chains & snow-blade, for $500. It was clean, but with a backyard repaint (not as nice as yours). Very stout worker. I live in Pittsburgh, PA, home of the big-spenders for old garden tractors ;). Tacey

I have a neighbor that's interested, so I wanted the price to be fair since I live next door to him. He may or may not still be interested depending on what he wants to spend and whether or not he's considering a 'box store' tractor. I'd also consider keeping this until spring, but space limitations have motivated me to try and sell it sooner rather than later. With TWO tractors plus attachments for both, a walking mower, gardening tools and two harleys in the garage, I'm just out of space :-)

• 2 weeks later...
quote:
I have a neighbor that's interested, so I wanted the price to be fair since I live next door to him. He may or may not still be interested depending on what he wants to spend and whether or not he's considering a 'box store' tractor. I'd also consider keeping this until spring, but space limitations have motivated me to try and sell it sooner rather than later. With TWO tractors plus attachments for both, a walking mower, gardening tools and two harleys in the garage, I'm just out of space :-)
Sounds like the Harleys need to go. After all they are lousy at mowing grass and blowing snow. Any grade schooler can tell you "what doesn't belong here: a hoe, a rake, a shovel, a lawnmower, two tractors, an edger and two motor cycles":D. BTW, I'd pay $1000 FOB Baton Rouge and you could keep the snow blower.

quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome
quote:
Sounds like the Harleys need to go. After all they are lousy at mowing grass and blowing snow. Any grade schooler can tell you "what doesn't belong here: a hoe, a rake, a shovel, a lawnmower, two tractors, an edger and two motor cycles":D. BTW, I'd pay $1000 FOB Baton Rouge and you could keep the snow blower.
The neigh bor decided that he didn't wish to spend that much on a 30 year old tractor/mower/snowthrower. So, I guess he'll be shoveling again this winter. I placed an ad on e-bay and it sold in 3 days :-) The winning bidder drove up here and picked it up same day. I think he got himself a great deal :-)