Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 6216 Speed Contrlol

steamtoys

My 6216 had a problem with I will refer to it as the variator pulley assembly. Thought the center pulley was not sliding as designed so cleaned & oiled, not the problem! Investigated further & found the pivot shaft bearings (item 42)in parts manual) to be frozen solid. Could not move pivot shaft (item 36) with a 12" adjustable wrench. In order to access the bearing's you would have to remove the steering wheel & complete cowl assembly. Steering wheel nut was frozen, managed to break off with little effort! Sat down to regroup & come up with a easy solution. Rather than remove the cowl I decided to cut a hole in order to gain access to the frozen bearings. Using a heat gun I was able to remove the instruction sheet(sheet in picture) in one piece & after glue to a 26 GA. steel panel to cover hole that I was about to cut. Frozen bearings are now accessible. First thing I drilled 2 - 3/16" holes to permit oiling. It took heating of bearings 3 times with a torch & moving pivot shaft free them up, bearings were so tight it was impossible to drive them off. Replacement panel is now removable to permit oiling & cleaning of grass. 7 hour job if done again would only be maybe 2 hours!! I feel these bearings are something to pay attention to. Tractor now goes like it's on steroids!

I hear you on that....Two of my five 6200's came with the same problem - I took the long route and disassembled the tractor, then after soaking in rust buster overnight, a lot of pounding the next day. They came loose and I used ALOT of anti-seize when rebuilding - Really like the idea of hole for lube - Good thinking - Chris

Thanks for the insight. What were the initial symptons? I have an AC T811(same as 6211) and it does not want o go. It will only go in second gear , but very slowly and no power.

4XBill: This is a Tractor just purchased. The pivot shaft being frozen I had only 1 speed in each gear. The previous owner just mowed in one of the 3 speeds. After cutting the hole this area was found to be packed with wet grass, bad original design. I am reattaching panel with sheet metal screws to permit cleaning and oiling in order to prevent this problem reoccurring. My first experience with this type of drive, sure feel a lot smarter, problem promoted some thinking!! Ron