Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

test drive

bigdan

i got the dash cleaned up & sprayed today. stripping the old decal was a major undertaking. i added a switch for the rear light i'm installing too. didn't come out bad for rattle can paint. notice the wet tires & rain on the dash... i coudn't wait. the engine runs like a champ & the tranny seems to be fine too. i need to do some adjusting, when idling in neutral, it has a little creep to reverse. also, the parking brake neds work. but the main thing is, it's mobile.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/vrcc1283/Allis%20Chalmers%20716H/DSCF0244.jpg[/IMG]

Nice. I like the socket head cap screws holding the dash panel on. ^ And, thank you for the dash picture showing the knock out for an hour meter. Always wondered what it looked like.

Here's a decal dealer on ebay with dash and other decals you might need. I haven't bought any so cannot comment on quality or fitment. Item number: 170139804877

thanks RedBarn. i picked up the grill sticker, dash decal, & a couple of the stickers for the deck from him. i'll let everyone know how they work out when i get them. thanks for the kudos guys. i'm going to keep it somewhat original, but i like stainless hardware... i use stainless almost exclusively on my motorcycle projects. at the bottom of the pic, you can see i replaced the solenoid bolts with stainless too. gotta LONG way to go though!

quote:
Originally posted by RedbarnRick
Here's a decal dealer on ebay with dash and other decals you might need. I haven't bought any so cannot comment on quality or fitment. Item number: 170139804877
I used these guys and I am right pleased with the results. They may not tell you in the instructions but there is a tough plastic cover over the decals that you peel off after installation. The tough covering is to protect the decals until you get them installed. I had no instructions with mine and when I washed the tractor the tough plastic started separating and turning white. I was really upset at first but wrote to vendor and got the update. Supposedly he is now adding a set of directions to the packaging.

BTW: did you say what paint you used?

quote:
Originally posted by bigdan
i need to do some adjusting, when idling in neutral, it has a little creep to reverse. also, the parking brake needs work.
Bigdan, Despite what some may say the adjusting of the Shuttle mechanism isn't that bad. When I got my tractor the Shuttle was badly out of adjustment and I tried to solve the problem just by making a single adjustment. Big mistake... it was really screwed up then and I thought my chances of getting it working right were next to nothing. I had read the manual and knew the adjustment of the system was quite detailed. Having no other choice, I followed the owners manual (to the letter) step by step and remarkably it works just as it is supposed to. Although I understand the planetary gear system I am still mystified by operation of the split pulley system. Nevertheless I can still adjust it to work perfectly with no weakness in forward or reverse.

Nice looking work Dan. And welcome to the club. Mine is a little weak on forward but reverse is great. I need to replace the belts first. Then I will see if I need to adjust the rest of it.

thanks Phil. i read through the procedure, it doesn't look too bad. i'm going to change all the fluids/filters, then go adjust everything. did you get your hood decals from that fella? looks GREAT!

quote:
Originally posted by bigdan
thanks Phil. i read through the procedure, it doesn't look too bad. i'm going to change all the fluids/filters, then go adjust everything. did you get your hood decals from that fella? looks GREAT!
Yes I got all my decals from him and even got a decal in B&W for the back of my seat.

Actually all my pictures were taken prior to my discovering that the protective covering was still covering the decals. You can see the faint outline in the picture.