Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax question

richp

I might be looking at a 1972 4041 Powermax this week. Can you guys give me some tips on what to look for. It has the three pont hitch and a 60 inch deck. Thanks.

Yeah, look over your shoulder for other buyerssm03General condition of fluids, tires, sheet metal, see if the hydro works, engine starts and runs clean, check the rear pto, if all that works you found a well cared for unit.

Check the information on 4040 Types (PowerMaxes) at the bottom of the page in the link below. "http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/articles/sam_used_check.htm Found it in Articles under the Resources tab. Thought there was a more extensive write up on Powermaxes but was unable to locate it. Hope this helps.

Make sure the front and rear clutches are working, and that the drive line to the rear PTO is still there along with the heat shields for the engine and under frame cover, all are needed for a cool engine....the 4041 should have a cckb onan in it, oil leaks from seals that kind of stuff, if it has been used the engine is prob covered in oil and grass

I checked it out the other day and I think I will pass. It is real clean and has fresh paint but the Onan needs carb work and all it has is a cutting deck. He would only go down to $1900. I think he overpaid for it because it has been in the paper for 2 months for $2200. As long as I have been a Simp fan, this is the first one I have seen. Not too many around here.