Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3410s runs funny...

boox

I've got a 3410S, starts and runs good for about 30-45 minutes then it starts chugging and skipping like it's got water in it. Drained the gas tank, new filter, cleaned the carb bowl, it does the same thing. Now the kicker part, after it starts the bucking and skipping, it will suddenly take off for about a minute maybe 3 running good and then dies off again. Engaging the mower deck seems to precipitate the bucking(adding a load) but when it's cold, it'll come right back up to normal speed, not so after it has run a while...any ideas what could be causing this? mark

if your tractor isn't overheating the timing could be retarded slightly. Mine used to do the same as it warmed up it started dropping off rpm when the governor called for more power. I seem to have corrected the problem by opening the points a bit (2-3/1000th) while running until it just stopped bucking or stumbling. Now runs smooth.

work has kept me away from it since Sunday, but I'm going with the timing being a little off...I just bought this one and I know it ran good 3 weeks ago when it first went up for sale...I didn't run it for very long then, but enough to spin around the yard and check the tranny and shuttle drive system...but the owner thought he could get a lot more for it than my offer... So I went and bought another one, a 5116 that I can't keep a deck belt on, broke three so far, bent up the front belt stops...what a mess... Then the owner of this one called me and then he even delivered it, the tractor, plow blade, 42" deck, wheel weights and chains for 3 bills. But I can't keep it running well long enough to cut all the grass at once...guess I can look at it as more tractor time if I wait until it cools before going back out...do it 45 minutes at a time... thanx for the ideas, and I'll put some pics up tomorrow... mark

quote:
Originally posted by boox ....But I can't keep it running well long enough to cut all the grass at once...guess I can look at it as more tractor time if I wait until it cools before going back out...do it 45 minutes at a time....
Sure sounds like a beverage timer to me.