Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnFornaro

Briggs 3310 Repower

JohnFornaro
I saw this engine listed on the Small Engines Warehouse site. Not sure how to past a link, so here's the data: Product Number: 350447-SIMP Tapered shaft Vanguard 18 HP ES Engine kit for 3310, 3314, 3410, 3415, 3416. It has a tapered shaft, which I'm not familiar with. Seems that any front mounted equipment, like a snowthrower, wouldn't work, because my original engine has a straight shaft. Anyone have any comments or words of wisdon om this engine? Thanks JF

Roy
"is there such a thing as a pulley to fit a tapered shaft?" Think there is an adapter available to convert the tapered shaft to a straight shaft. Is a female taper that bolts on over the male taper. Not sure where I saw it so would have to do search. Maybe one of our other members can supply the source.

JohnFornaro
Thanks all: I'm hoping to repower the 3310 with more than 10HP. I'm contemplating a 16HP Cast Iron Briggs, but I haven't had any luck in finding someone around here who will also build a crate and ship! One fellow is a nine hour drive, and I just can't stomach the drive and hotel bill. I'm contemplating a cast Iron Kohler 16hp magnum, often seen in the Northern catalog. This would keep with my desire to stay with cast iron, while they are still available. Does anyone have any ideas on how this would work? It's listed in the Fall/Winter 2007 catalog as item #60163-1801. What are the differences in these engines Then, of course, there's the family of 16HP and 18HP Vanguards that are very widespread. I can't figure out why SEW decided to convert a tapered shaft engine, however. It will be interesting to see what the deal is on the tapered shaft adapter however. Thanks again.

UCD
They are useing the tapered shaft engines because they are plentiful and cheaper for them to buy supplus. Also most people do not use the front PTO they only mow with their tractor.