Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vari-Shift questions

B-16_IC

I recently aquired a B-112 (see pics in Show and Tell, Adding to the herd!). This is equiped, as all 112s are with the Vari-Shift transmission. I was wondering what some of your thoughts are of this setup. I am hoping for this to be next years mowing machine, Is this good for mowing? I have a lot of hills and ditches to mow so shift on the fly sounds great. But, is it? Thank you!

I have 4 tractors with the variable drive (including a B-112.) If they are adjusted properly they work really well.

I have a B-112 that I use to mow the lawn at our lake property (close to 3/4 acre). Most of it is flat, but a lot of trees. In the more open areas, 3rd gear works well. About half speed on the variable is a good mowing speed, yet allows for slowing down enough to work around obstacles. For hilly or tighter areas, 2nd gear is my choice. I mow mostly at full variable speed but can slow down significantly for trimming around objects. 2nd gear also makes it easier to shift to reverse if you need to. I only wish I could get a little more speed out of 2nd gear. If I could, I would do all my mowing in 2nd. Hope this helps. Glen (Glen112)

Thanks all! I was thinking this sounded great as I read the literature reprints on SimpleTractors, but hearing real people's thoughts means alot! I am thinking this should work for me. Thanks again!

I have one (3112V), and converted one (B-210, now 216) to a Sundstrand hydro. IMO, it's the next-best thing to a hydro... The adjustment of the drive, once worn, is a bit tricky. But, once you've learned the tricks, and you have a good belt on it, it's bulletproof, and no more prone to slipping than a 3-speed. In fact, one of our members competitively pulled for several years with a Varidrive and was quite successful... If it grinds the gears when shifting, search the archives and find all the tips about adjusting it...

Thanks Kent. You reminded me of what I went through reviving my B-112 a couple of years ago. It had been setting for quite a number of years and I was taking over possession of it from my dad. I was having trouble with grinding gears. My uncle, who has been reparing lawnmowers for years, helped me out. He had done adjustments on this tractor over the years for my dad. I was surprised at what was really necessary to stop the gear grinding. When my uncle suggested some bending of the belt guide for the vari belt, I was ready to tell him he was crazy. Well, after a few wacks with a hammer, the grinding was gone. The experience gained over many years of trial and error is priceless. My uncle, at 80+ years of age, still is fixing lawnmowers at the hardware store he used to own (for John Bishop's information, this is very near him, previously Haab Brothers Hardware at Pleasant Lake). I am not sure if this cure for the gear grinding is described in the archived posts, but it worked for me. I will check the archives when I get some time and see if this makes sense and get some more ideas for adjusting my worn vari-drive. Great site we have here! Glen

The biggest cause of grinding gears in any of the gear drive tractors 3 speed, variable, Shuttle or 6 speed is the correct adjustment or the lack of belt stops/guides.