Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Back on track!

ehertzfeld

Well after a few month hiatus from working on any of my tractors, I got inspired to work on the diesel again. I was going to lower the engine some more to line up the drive shaft closer to straight, but after seeing Paul's in person, I figured the shaking was the nature of the beast. So last night, I started putting it back together. I finished tonight. Drove it around and it works pretty good. If you remember when I started this, the engine is from a road construction arrow sing. It was designed to run a alternator to charge batteries that powered the sign. Because of it's design, it only has idle and full throttle. I need to get a shorter belt for it, as it stared slipping wile going up a slight incline. I also need to figure out how I'm going to mount the fork lift alternator I got for it. I'm shooting to have it all done for the October show in Colchester. We'll see how it goes. Here is what it looks like now. The hood and seat pan are from a 7016 and the frame is a 3310. The trans is from the B112 converted into a three speed.

Elon, Nice work. Very few have a custom diesel powered tractor. ^ I'm not familiar with diesels but there should be a way to modify the governor and/or throttle control to give you a variable speed range from idle to full speed. What I had to do on the aluminum generator engine I put in my B-1. You might have room to mount the alternator up front driven by a belt from the crankshaft. Refresh my memory please. What hp is your diesel?

Elon, It lives! Way to go! dOd Instead of a 3-speed, you need that diesel in a hydro, so you can run it wide open all the time and control speed with the hydro...:Q

From what I have read, it's around a 4hp. Not a lot, but should do just fine. As for the alt, I'm going to try to mount it up front using the crank shaft to power it. Just have to figure out the how to brace it.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Elon, It lives! Way to go! dOd Instead of a 3-speed, you need that diesel in a hydro, so you can run it wide open all the time and control speed with the hydro...:Q
Thought about it, but I'm going to settle for a shuttle. I got one that is stuck in gear, that I'm going to tear into at some point.

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
That makes a pretty tight little package, nice work!
Yeah, the starter is larger than the diesel.