Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wheel rusted to shaft

Any one have a sure fire method to remove a wheel from the tranny shaft? I have the gear puller attached, used heat and PB Blaster liberally, without a millimeter of movement. Thx!!

There is usually a hole in the center of the wheel where you can assemble a "puller". Get a flat piece of steel, drill 3 holes as follows: In the center hole, use a long bolt to put pressure on the shaft. Use two more bolts thru the holes in the wheel where weights are normall mounted. By turning the center bolt (or the two outer bolts) it will work just like a regular puller to get the wheel off the shaft. Tom

I had one so bad no amount of heat or puller would remove. I only needed the rims as the transaxle was shot & was replacing it. After the attempts it was obvious I'd ruin the rim and another would be hard to find.....I cut the axle with torch, then put the rim & axle stub in a press & pushed it out.

Loosen wheel bolts slightly. Drive around on rough ground making left and right turns till it busts loose. If it's a Broadmoor type wheel the heat needs to be applied on the inside or transaxle side of the wheel. Trying to heat it from the outside won't do anything. You need to expand all of the areas contacting the axle. There is no rust or corrosion which can resist heated expanded metal.

id would try the drive trick and using a hammer and pb blaster just work it over time, take time don't rush and soon enough it will work its way off. if you have a puller on try hitting the center bolt of the puller that will do the trick sometimes. matt

unless the rim is bad there is no need to try and get it off. just change the tire while its on the tractor. 15 min in most case's. soap and water spray helps.