Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 Drive coupler

CHolmes

My B-10 seems to be short of rag joints when I went to install the drive shaft. I have a set of the nylon discs but that leaves me with almost three quarters of an inch short. I am not sure of using washers to make up the differance. Anyone found a good solution for this problem?

can you loosen up the set screws at the BGB end of the drive shaft and slide the yoke, and therefore the drive shaft, forward the 3/4 inch? hope that is the solution as i am near putting the 12hp on the parts machine but will not be putting in the hydro pulley.

I was looking to do that on my squire but it leaves very little shaft inside the yoke, I changed my mind and put the hydro pulley on it and will be using that pulley to run the pump for the FEL.

You can use washers to make up the difference. I would not move the rear yoke that far forward, because of the added load (leverage) that will be on the BGB bearing with the yoke out near the end of the shaft. I have one tractor with a stack of washers on each bolt. I have another with tubes for spacers. Since I didn't have the factory flywheel spacers, I made my own. I also put the fiberglass disks in my 61 Wards (Simplicity 700). That one has the spacers made from tubing. You should definitely loosen the set screw on the rear yoke and let it float on the shaft till the driveshaft is bolted solid in the front. You do not want to put tension on the flex disks along the direction of the driveshaft. That can cause a premature failure.