Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B1 won't stay running

B1-OWNER

My B1 does not stay running. Does any one know where to begin. I rebuilt the carb, I also put in new valves, what would be the proper clearances, I had a guy tell me the ex. should be .019, and the intake .008, does this seem right? Could timing problems be the trouble? What should that be set at? I'm drawing at straws, I'm at a point of just getting rid of it, but I just can't part with it. Any and all info is appretitated. Thank-you, Darryl

Does it just Stop? Or does it sound like it starving? There may be rust in the gas tank thats clogged up the fuel line ot tank outlet.

No, the tank is clean. It is getting fuel, it just seams that I have no carb. adjustment, or that some thing is out of wack.

Have you checked the flywheel key? Did it stay running before you rebuilt the carb? .009 max - .007 min. on the intake and .019 max - .017 min. on the exhaust.

Check the kill wire that leads to the points box, if it's shorting out on the points box or engine shrouding you will not stay running,since you just rebuilt the carb remove the hi speed needle and pull out the meter tube again and check it for dirt, did you set the float to specs?

This is a good lesson to all on why systematic diagnosis is very important! B1- welcome to the site, and glad you got it all figured out- Andy