Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tiller question

dav

the blades on the tiller-i think they are called bolo's-are rather beat up. in part, that's from tilling in new hampshire's rocky soil down here near tampa there are no rocks. but we make up for it with roots! i didn't worry about sharpening the bolos when i started tilling last year but now i wonder how sharp they should be. if they are as sharp as a mower blade should be, will they shave through roots or will they just dig in and stop the tiller? would i be better off leaving them dull and just bludgeon my way through roots? also, where is the best place to get more bolos? (i have a second tiller but it has no bolos on it) any estimates as to cost? thanks

I sharpened my tines about three years ago. For a short time, it cut thru. That being said they also dulled quickley. They are not now as blunt on the cutting edge, but it is just a matter time. When you have 16HP to run the 30" tiller, blunt cutting edges will also work.sm01

I've never sharpened my tines, with all the rocks in my ground I think I've worn a 1/16th to an 1/8th inch off the tines in only 4 years of tilling, I'd hate to remove any extra metal by sharpening them. If you are looking for spare tines try looking for some junked out walk behind tillers. I see tons of these in junk piles, many use similar to near identical tines to these tractor mounted tillers. New tines would still be available but would get pretty costly.

the tillers are both simplicity but neither has an id tag so i don't know which models. i did have a troybuilt so that must be where i picked up the term 'bolo'. thanks for talking me out of shapening the tines. i have enough projects that really need doing without doing the unneccessary