Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

When is a rebuild or repower a consideration?

RBE17

While working on my CCKB yesterday I did a compression test on both cylinders. The results were less than optimistic. Both cylinders only produced 60 psi of pressure. Would a full rebuild be in order? Would a re-ring and new valves be enough? Would it be more cost effective to repower? All input is appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

Repowers can sometimes be a nightmare to get all things to line up correctly. I've done many however just due to the challenge. That engine of yours is one tough bird though, so I'd consider rebuilding her. Valves are probably still good, just need refaced & maybe the seats redone also. Rings likely will get her back to snuff, but you'll need to take her down & examine internals before deciding whether to rebuild or repower. Check for cylinder/crank journal wear or any other wear. I'd almost bet money it won't take much to rebuild her especially if the engine had no strange noises. You can get piston rings from Hastings Manufacturing.

I would try the rebuild if you are inclined the Honda repower has its pros and cons, but it does fit nicely and goes together well I helped another member drop one in in an afternoon, seach on the discussions on th erepowers of the powermaxes lots of stuff has been hashed over

Aside from the compression test, you will want to perform a leakdown test as well. This will tell you if the valves are still sealing, and if not, which one and where. (could be the cause of your low compression) If I was going to tear it all apart to get compression back up to "par" I probably wouldn't just re-ring it, unless I was comfortable with the possibility of doing it over again later. Someone once said, "rarely does saving money ever save you money." The parts are fairly inexpensive, when you consider the price of an engine, or a new tractor- At the very least check the crank and cylinder for wear, and if it is out of tolerance, fix it right. If it is in tolerance, it is your decision to do it or not. Ultimately, it will depend on what you can afford to spend in the short term as opposed to what long term use you want to get out of it- Hope this helps, Andy

Thanks for all the input. I haven't really decided what I want to do yet. Rebuilding and repowering are both options. The Honda repower seems very attractive. Everyone I've talked about concerning their repower really likes it. However, it is expensive. I guess I need to weigh the options between the repower and the rebuild. Of course, cost is a consideration. Thanks again, Steve.

I would take the current engine out and take it apart and see how comfortable you are that you can get it back together. I would also look hard at all the parts to see what the tab on parts, machining , and other pieces will run. I just rebuilt a 2 cyl kohler that seems to be good to go except for a carb or fuel issue... but the engine would have cost a lot more to replace..

just my 2cents worth, but depending on the item in ? do you want to keep 100% orginal, if not then don't matter what you do. Engines are not cheap no matter what you do, but a rebuild maybe better for the long haul on a good engine vs the money spent on a new engine that may or may not be what you were expecting. Personally i would rebuild sounds like it is still worthwile engine so far. mattsm03

It looks like I'll probably do a tear down of the current motor over the winter. At that point I'll assess what it needs. At that point I'll weigh rebuild cost versus repower costs. What I need more than anything is dead nuts reliability. From the sound of things, these CCKB motors are fairly robust. I know I did some research on rebuilding a KT17 and the general consensus was forget about it unless it was a Series II motor. Thanks, Steve.