Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-208 won't start

skot71

Can't get my B-208 to start. Checked the spark plug against the head, and it's sparking. Seems like I'm getting gas, as I can smell it, and after taking the air filter off, I can see that the carb is wet. I haven't taken anything more apart, as I have very limited knowledge of carbs, etc. This motor burns oil, and I have a spare original style 8 horse I bought off of ebay as a spare, or a 14.5 ohv I got from Marks-AC. Is it time to change engines?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try turning it by hand and seeing if it has compression. Is the gas older? If it is, try putting in new gas. Otherwise, if its geting spark and gas it should run. Remember to keep a close eye on your oil level too. Mark-

Topped the oil off, and brand new gas. Can feel air coming out of the muffler, so that means compression, right?

Remove the spark plug and pour about a tablespoon of gas down the spark plug hole, reinstall plug and plug wire and turn it over. If it sputters/tries to run, it's a carb problem most likely. It could also be an intake leak at the intake to carb or intake to block connections, even a carb gasget.