Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Magnetron question

ReedS

I have a 326431 16hp that I just picked up. Non-runner, found a magnetron type coil under the shroud, has spark but will not run on the magneto I also don't know for sure if the igition is complete. I installed a battery powered coil and it'll run on that but I much prefer a good magneto ignition. The standard points type coils are fairly cheap so I'd just as soon return the engine to stock. I know nothing of this engine's history so my question basically is this; Is there a way to determine if the flywheel was ever repolarized to be compatable with the magnetron ignition?

There 16HP Briggs that have the Magnetron ignition, I have two of them. If the flywheel magneto has two red stripes, it is set up for a Magnetron.

quote:
If the flywheel magneto has two red stripes, it is set up for a Magnetron.
Bob would this be true if the flywheel(originally set up for points) were repolarized to be compatible with the magnetron? My other 16hp briggs has the magnetron (from the factory, no provision for points), this 16 has a points plunger, so I'm just not sure if some has installed the wrong coil or ???

Reed can't answer that the repolarized question, however I would think so. If you have a heathly spark and it jumps 3/16", there should be no reason why it won't run. Is you ground wire rubbing some where? 3/16" is nominal setting for Briggs spark tester.

Rich, first thing I checked. Bob, thanks, first I have no indication that the flywheel was ever polarized to work with the magnetron coil, second when I looked at the parts list it looked like there was another part (wiring?) that went with the kit which does not appear to be with the engine as it sits now. I think that I'd rather buy the non-electronic coil and try that at this point (I have a spare flywheel if that turns out to be an issue). This thing drove me nuts because I had spark,fuel and compression. I went as far as checking the static timing both crank to cam and flywheel to coil mount as well as checking valve clearance. So I eliminated the magneto and it ran on the battery power coil so the problem must lie in the magneto either it being the wrong coil or an incompatible (not properly polarized) flywheel. So guess that I'll find out if the coil is the issue or not when it gets replaced.

I would say look at your date code and compare it to the magneto and magnetron. I have three 16hp engines here with magnetron coils and none of the have points covers. I would say that more than likely that it was not repolarized and some Briggs dealer sold the previous owner the magnetron not thinking that it needed repolarized. I had a local dealer do this to me and I couldn`t get it to run worth a crap and since it was a electrical part I was stuck with his mistake. I ended up buying the magneto which belonged on it to begin with and the problem was solved.

• 4 weeks later...
The Magnatron is marked this side out and could be up side down. Also, there are some notes on how to determine the polarity of flywhee magnets on my web site; http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/id2.html .