Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 steering square pin removal

DeltaBravo

Also, for the tie rod ends, there is clearance which lets in debris and grease out. There are no rubber boots. I suspect that some clearance is needed when turning, so would a plastic washer be acceptable or could I even go with a metal machine bushing? I have the steering off at the moment and will verify these clearances before mowing. I could build grease around the tie rod end before mowing, clean it after, but I'm after lubing it less often.

Some have used a flat roller bearing under the steering axels, and to get the key out just tap them with a punch or a chissel to get them to pry out. I stead of adding anouther post you can use the edit part to add to it. It is the icons above the post.

If you are talking about the ends of the tie rod that goes between the two front wheels the ends of the tie rod and the bushings the rod ride on are hardened. A little oil or dry lube is all that is needed. Too much grease/oil just collects dirt (abrasive) and makes wear worse. If you are talking about the ball joints on the steering link between the pitman arm and the LH steering arm there are supposed to be rubber sleeves/boots to seal lubricant in.

• 4 weeks later...
To oversome this situation, I used a brass hammer to tap on the bottom of the circular part of the arm and it came right off. Then the square keys popped right off the shaft. Later I read in the large frame repair manual about doing the same thing with a brass drift.