Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Question

GWGAllisfan

Maybe a crazy idea, but does anyone know how hard it would be to convert a vertical engine to horizontal? I know some of the Kohler Magnum Twins used the same block for both, but what else differed? Not sure if anyone else was similar or not. Anyone know or have an idea about this?

Hate to throw a wrench in an interesting idea... but most of the engines that power tractors have limits on angle of operation before parts become oil starved. Full pressure oiling is helpful, but the oil pickup is located in the bottom of the pan, and filling oil to a point that oil would be located higher allows the connecting rods to froth the oil like a crazed latte.... which also makes oiling a problem. If you used a horizontal engine and had some sort of power / angle gear cluster that transfered the power to a different orientation you might get lucky. Engines and tractors are fairly tight on space once you work on them a while you discover that moving a battery is tough... moving a fuel tank is tough, and moving a pully to a new spot would take a lot of engineering time and figuring out work. The best way to come up with space is to raise the engine, whicj makes a fairly unstable platform even more unstable...

Someone here did just that a few years ago. They converted a vertical engine to a horizontal. They used the oil pan/sump and oil pump/pickup from a horizontal engine on the vertical If I remember right everything else was the same.

Thanks. I was wondering how hard it would be. The late model AYP mowers sometimes turn up around here, priced reasonable, and the bigger ones often had vertical shaft Twin Magnums. Thought that might be a good choice for a 7100 repower, if cheap and easy.