Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late Model Vickers?

PhanDad

This Vickers hydro is in a 3416H I recently acquired:

Notice the "Drive/Push" lever; it's bent and doesn't have the metal "spring clip" to keep the lever vertical like ever Vickers I've ever seen. Also the dryness of the overall unit; never saw one so dry. When I picked the tractor up, I pushed the lever to the right to disengage the gears to push the tractor for loading. It wouldn't budge. Checked the parking brake, it was off. Figured I'd just bought a tractor with a bent lever which meant busted tranny. Then I looked closer at the label for the lever and to my surprise it indicated that to the right is "engage" and to the left is "push". Moved the lever to the left and the tractor pushed easily. I remember a post about a later model Vickers tractor that has a functioning parking brake when the hydro is in the "push" position. I figure I now have one (have yet to test it). Is this model also subject to pintle shaft wear and leaking? Or maybe that problem was fixed in this version? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

That hydro is identical to my 72 Allis 416H, pump,motor, cooler, shields, resevoir & all! So it's not a late model unit. The later units look much different. My pintles were leaking, so this spring I took it apart & put new o-rings in it. In fact, I chucked the pins in my lathe & using a cutoff air tool, I cut an extra groove so as to have 2 o-rings per side. The pin was too hard for lathe bits so had to use the cutter. Oh,& my push/pull lever is identical also. My pintle pins were not worn at all though, just dried/flattened o-rings. Very strong units. You'll be pleased! :D

I am using a vickers out of a 3410H that uses the old style. I prefer this style of trans release much more than the sundstrand type. So much easier to push the tractor around.

quote:
Originally posted by richp
I am using a vickers out of a 3410H that uses the old style. I prefer this style of trans release much more than the sundstrand type. So much easier to push the tractor around.
Yep, no drag at all! One of my Massey's has a Sundstrand, but it has a 2 spd rear end with neutral position, so it pushes easily too. Plus with unloader valves you aren't supposed to push/pull them far at all, but with the "gear release" you can pull them as far as you want.

I have noticed the same difference on AC 300/400 series tractors. The 314H that I have, you push the lever towards the rear tire for natural. But on the 416H the handle is at an angle and you pull up towards the tractor to put it in natural. Apparently there was a change between 1970-1973 at Vickers?

PhanDad, I've got a 3416H identical to that. It's a '73, bought it in '93, been plowing and mowing ever since. Flawless service. It's been a great tractor. Todd