Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7012 wiring help

bondo478

Hello everyone! I just aquired a 7012 Landlord from my grandfather that did not have an engine. It is in really good shape, but has had a couple different engines over the years. I have bolted in a cast iron briggs 16hp, but need some wiring help. The original wiring is mostly intact, but I need to know what each of the wires coming out of the ignition switch are. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Nate, I believe your tractor originally had a Kohler engine in it and had battery ignition. If it has the original ignition switch in it you will either need to use battery ignition with the Briggs engine or change the ignition switch to one for use with a magneto. There are two wiring diagrams in the manual linked below. The one on page 34 is for battery ignition as I believe yours originally was. The wiring diagram on page 35 is for magneto ignition. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3045_02_SV_S.pdf

Thanks for all of your help! I see from the diagrams that both switches have five terminals. What is the difference in how they work?

The difference in the two switches are ignition ground to run with a Kohler engines as it requires a battery source to fire up coil and with the Briggs it is ground to stop as that is a magneto source and has to be shorted to stop. Al Eden sells a conversion kit to use Kohler switch with Briggs engine and vice versa.