Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CHolmes

Oil Leak

CHolmes
I have a Simplicity 3112V and it seems to be leaking oil out of the transmission. It appears to be coming from the rear where the shifting rod goes through the case as well as on the side where there are a couple of places I imagine that there would be shafts inside the case. Is this a common thing? Is it an easy fix or am I looking at a dismantling of the transmission?

Roy
An overfilled transmission will leak out the shifter rod and axle seals. The shifter rod normally seeps a little anyway. Check the oil level and make it is level with the bottom of the fill level plug threads. Note there are three plugs. A fill plug on top, a fill level plug in the middle, and a drain plug on the bottom. If the level is correct and you still have excess leakage around the axle seals they will have to be replaced. Worn/leaky axle tube seals can be due to old age and/or worn axle tube bearings/bushings. A site search for axle seals should turn up some posts on how to replace them.

dirtsaver
Chris every geardrive tractor leaks around the shift rod.I thinks thats pretty normal for our old rigs. As Roy mentioned though,if your axle seals are showing serious leaks you might want to replace them or at least keep a watch on the fluid level. Larry

Vinnie_A
Just picked up a Simplicity Landlord 101 and the previous owner filled the transmission up to the top filler plug which created quite a mess.This is the second one I ran across like this.