Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EdWhitford

Concern/Question

EdWhitford
Hello it's been a while since I was last here.sm04 My concern/question is dealing with my Simplicity Legacey XL. I know this is primarily for much older Simplicity's but I am hoping I can get more help here than what I have gotten so far. It is now just over 2 years 3 months & of course the warranty is out at the two year mark.:||:||!C I mowed last week. ( we have approx 2 acers )When I finished I pulled up towards the garage to do my usual cleaning up of her when done. However this time when I slowed it started jerking & the power steering was intermittent. I blew out the tractor & pulled it in to the garage. When I turned her off I herd a boiling sound coming from the under side of the tractor. Got off & had gas bubbling up thru the vent hole in the cap. Placing a heavy leather glove over the cap & getting some safety gear on I opened the cap. Releasing a lot of pressure & heat from the tank. Still I had a boiling/bubbling sound coming from the rear end. I pulled the trans dip stick & had released a lot of steam/smoke. Fluid smelt burnt. Pulled the drain plug & had very hot fluid come out of the rear end. what was a bright red was now a burnt red. I let it all drain out over night & changed the filter & fluid the next night. Called my dealer & he had no clue as to what the problem is. Sent Simplicity a E-mail asking them about a week ago. Still have not heard from them as of yet. Called the dealer & was told yep something is wrong but don't know what so we can come & get it & do a tear down/diagnostic on it to see what you have.$$$$8 I made the suggestion that I was wondering about maybe if the filter is dirty & it is interfering with the flow of fluid. Was told that it is a possibility that it might be the problem. So after changing everything out. I tried her again tonight only not as long. Did everything like it did last time only this time I heard no boiling/bubbling sound. Everything else was the same. The jerking, Loss of power steering & burnt smelling fluid. If any one has any ideas please let me know. If not I will do the dealer thing & tear her down. Thank you & take care:)

andrewk
Boy... that doesn't sound good... Was the fluid low? Any leaks? The transmission has, as you know from the fluid, overheated, and I am afraid it may have wiped out the charge pump, leading to your erratic operation. Only way to know for sure is to hook it up to a hydraulic load tester to see if it can build pressure and still move an acceptable volume of fluid. I think the legacy uses a Tuff-Torq (K71?), and it is a very beefy transmission. My recommendation would be to let the dealer diagnose it, but make sure he is competent in hydraulic work. If he isn't, he may play a guessing game, and that involves your wallet, which would not be good. IMO, the percentage of dealers that are competent far out numbers the ones that aren't, so hopefully your local dealer is a good one. Let us know what you find out- Hope this helps, Andy

EdWhitford
I should have mentioned this before. After each mowing dirt moving or what ever, If she is more than dusty she gets blown out/or washed. The only time I have ever had a leak of any time was when I went to park it in front of the garage when I noticed the problem. Before this every thing worked. Loader, 3-point, rear PTO, back blade & 4x4 all worked very well. I maybe baby this more than most would but when you have as much wrapped up in it as I do..... I think it only far to keep it all in good working order. In the little over 2 yrs I have had her. All of the fluids have been changed 3 times, Other than the rear end fluid it has been changed now 4 times. Every thing has been possibly over greased. I have only 1,132 hours total on her. I think it is low considering the mowing season & then the snow season when I use the loader & back blade to clear the drive. Thank you for the reply & take care.

EdWhitford
Well........Looks like it will be going in to the dealer. On the legacey my lift lever for all attachments is one. I use it for the Loader, mower & the 3-point. If I move it in the up/forward position it will lower the attachment. If I move it further in that position it will lock into place or in to the float position done this several times when mowing or moving snow with the loader. Sounds like it might have been something that was going to go bad & I was just not aware of it until it did. It could have been a faulty part on this year of tractor & it just needed time to go out. That is one of the questions I sent out to Simplicity but like I said before they seem to be slow in responding to my inquiry. Any ideas as to how much this is going to run?

andrewk
Cost will depend on labor, and also what else was taken out. I'd guess over 500, less than 1500, without knowing the cost of anything. If you are just out of the warranty period, see if you can get your dealer to try for a warranty adjustment. If it is as well cared for as you say, then this shouldn't have happened. Simplicity, in my experience, has always been great about taking care of their customers with things like this. Let us know how it all works out- Andy

MN_FISH
Don’t know which engine you have or if it’s the same as ours? We have a 2004 legacy XL 27HP Kawasaki. I noticed one of the cooling hoses going to the cooler just above the radiator was kinkedB) enough it was blocking the flow of oil going to it. It was kinked on the left side below the throttle cable. The hose is long enough so the screen for the radiator can be removed. I shortened the hose a little and rerouted it and solved that problem. Maybe this could be your problem??

EdWhitford
I have the Kohler 25HP in her & I do have 2 cooling lines going to the colling unit. Check both of them & they are in good order. The more & more I look into it the more I am thinking that the Charge pump might be the issue. If not that then something in the rear end has gone wacky. Going to try & get her in on Tuesday to have her looked at.