Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tecumseh Engine

mbrook

I have some questions about my Father in Laws John Deere. I know its not a Simplicity but, you guys know your stuff. Here goes. Tractor Info 1967 John Deere 112 Tecumseh engine The problem is once the engine runs for a short time, 5 minutes or so, it looses spark, but once cooled down will start again. He changed the condensor and coil, but still had the problem. After further inspection he found that the push rod for the points would seize up once the engine was warm. He is planning on replacing the points and push rod. My concern is why did it seize? I had purchased this tractor for him, along with my brother and sister-in-laws for fathers day. The previous owner told me that he had recently replaced the push rod also. Is this a sign of over heating, or maybe just a bad push rod? My father-in-law really enjoys this tractor but was asking me why this might be happening, so I thought I'd ask the group around for some possiblities. Thanks

I had a 1968 JD 112 a couple of years back but it had the tecumseh HH100 with the solid state ignition, I also have had masseys and sears with those engines but so far I haven't run any with points though I have junked some that had them. From what I've heard tecumseh no longer makes any ignition parts for these but the points look just like kohler points. I don't know why the plunger would stick unless the engine had sat a long time and the hole it rides in is rusted or dirty, I would think it would get a little lubrication as it ran.

Hi, When we started selling tractorsin about 1980, we bought 10 sets of Briggs tune up kits , the ones with the end of the condenser being the point contact from a liquidator. Four of them we had similar problems. These were the fiber push rods and they would swell with heat. I threw the last 2 away and have rarely used aftermarket parts since (except in rare instances) I believe it has saved me a lot of grief though the years. I have no idea why these metal should seize. Are they made of aluminum instead of steel Al Eden

it would be helpful to know WHY the previous owner replaced the push rod. If for a different reason then it seems likely the replacement is the problem. Got a picture? *smile* (with minimal green, of course) -Don

Al, I have had a few of these apart before and the tecumseh's didn't use a metal rod, all of them I have seen use a fiber rod kind of like a 3-1/2hp briggs, unless some previous owners had replaced these with something aftermarket. Maybe if the length of a new one was known a metal rod could be made to replace the fiber rod.