Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MunK

newbie saying hi and some questions AC 620

MunK
Hello all...I have been lurking here a while reading and learning...you all should be proud this is a excellent site. I recently bought a AC 620 with a loader... heck of a little piece of equipment for it's age. I am so fond of it I am considering a restoration/few updates for this winter. I have a 60" mower deck with this machine but after looking at it I apparently am missing the apparatus that redirects front pto clutch power to the decks pulley. I know on my JD it's called a "mule drive". Is this part interchangeable with other AC/Simplicity tractors? I would like to acquire one and see if it mows nice enough that I could use it as a primary mower, thus allowing me to spend more $$$ on redoing it and selling off my JD 317. My local tire dealer has had no luck finding me any front tires.. they are different than what I see in many pictures here so I am assuming they may be something special for loader? Suggestions on a brand/size would be appreciated as these are so wore I can't even make out the brand. thanks again for any help you can offer NoRM AC 620

wilm169
WELCOME: The mule drive is diffrent than the other tractors, sometimes they come up on ebay, this page might help you on the tire sizes. The 720 is almost the same as the 620.:D http://www.simpletractors.com/models/700_series/720_accessories.htm

JP
Welcome to the Fray! You'll want to use high capacity (6.90/6.00-9) with front end loader! These are std HD trailer tires, I got mine at Tireman (Locally). If you keep the loader on, you might consider a 3pt mower. Just MAKE SURE you get one with a 2k rpm pto speed. NOT 540 (std)! You might see them from time to time on EBay. I get them in from time to time also. Which loader do you have? JP

MunK
Thank you all for the welcome;-) Ty for the tire size link... it answered a few questions. I assume by HD trailer tire we are talking say as an example the wider tires often seen on snowmobile trailers? (At least whats on it now looks similar to those) I really need to find one of those mule drives...any other suggestions besides E bay?... My JD 317 is needing some attention and I would like to not spend any more $$$ on it and instead put the $$ into the AC, if I can mow with the AC to finish this season out I can then rethink and consider a 3 point finish mower (probably what I really need with 4 acres to mow) The loader is a Kwik Way I believe. Well built.. very useful design except the part where it uses the 620's Hyd system... unless mine has issues, it's really not powerful enough to lift or work the loader near to it's size/capacity in my experience. I was noticing on one of the other brands loaders that it uses a self contained HYD pump and valve assembly...I may have to do something similar to achieve my goals....but first I need to determine how healthy my machines HYD system is. By next year this time I desire a tractor that looks and works as good as new... this means a long winter under restoration I imagine but it sounds like a fun project and the end result seems worth the effort. I just can't decide if I want to keep that Onan LOL I have a 18hp Onan in my JD that looks VERY similar to whats in the AC now... I almost tried swapping them yesterday in pure frustration of what I suspect is something wrong with the AC's engine....but then it started running correctly again so I am ignoring it for now....but a loose valve seat is my suspicion. NoRM

JP
NO! Not the wider ones! (LOL) go by the size. The turf's put too much tread on the ground causing a LOT of resistence. That will wear out your keyways/spindles quickly, Not to mention the workout you'll get! LOL Knock on wood, in ALL the Onans that have passed through, no loose seats! The CCKB is REAL tempermental (More Mental, LOL) on points & timing. If you search on CCK you'll find that to be true. Your JD will 'almost' fit, like you can 'almost' fit into old clothes... LOL Better to redo the CCK or do a tranplant (You'll see a LOT of discussion on that too!) Lastly, the hydraulics on these units weren't really designed to run attachments. All the ones that I've seen have their own pumps that run off the front or rear pto (loader/backhoe). If you're going to keep this one, you'd look into a separate pump system for SURE. :D JP

MunK
LOL JP...... That may explain my arms growing and my 12 turns lock to lock steering I have at present... because it has wide front tires on it. Now I need to find rims to *it just keeps getting better and better* It almost got a forced engine swap today... it will run tell warm then die... then run like it's on one cylinder, than run perfectly and then not start, and then run so well ya would think it's new, and it did all this in 45 min of frustrating use. I tried to buy points... I was laughed at and told maybe I could get some by Fri next week. UGH A repower is looking more and more appealing... maybe a suburue car engine? LOL NoRM

babablacksheep
Hi and welcome to the club. Your best bet for the mule drive is ebay. Just find somebody parting one out and email them if you don't see it listed. You will find that the 60" deck will have no problem mowing four acres and do a beautiful job. As far as the CCKB engine goes, I have two 720's that I have been running intermittently for years (mainly because I can't keep both of them running at the same time). That engine is cussed, ornery, despicable, evil and runs like a dream (but only when it darn well feels like it).