Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cahickm2

I found a 7117 for sale. I called the guy and asked about it. It has a mower deck, snow blade, snow blower, snow cab, and a murray tractor all bundled together. all for $400. he said that it ran fine til it blew a hole in the block. he said piston and rod are still intact and that a hole just blew. Is it still worth the price? are replacement engines hard to find? will the attatchments fit on my 3212?

quote:
Originally posted by cahickm2 he said that it ran fine til it blew a hole in the block. he said piston and rod are still intact and that a hole just blew. Is it still worth the price?
ROFL - have any of you more experienced mechanics EVER seen an engine just blow a hole in the side of the block? I haven't. This guy ain't playing straight with you. replacement engine is going to cost you way more than the asking price. This would be a Kohler 17? -Don

yes it is the K17 motor. I seen these are like 2000+ new. When he told me what happened I was like "uhhh....." To me it highly unlikely that a hole would blow without the rod going through it. He said it drove fine just spewed oil all the way back to the garage. Then he said something about possibly patching it..... is it worth $400 or not?

It probably continued to run on one cylinder. update: oops, is this a single cylinder engine? With all those attachments and if it is otherwise in good shape, I'd pay $400 for it. But ultimately it is up to you. If it was me, I'd invest the major bucks to get a new Vanguard for it, or let it sit in my collection til I could (realizing I can't afford a Vanguard now) -Don

yep...it's worth it. I paid $350 for essentially the same tractor with no motor and only a deck. You can doa briggs re-power fairly easily and inexpensively (relative to the $2,000 new Kohler!)

hello I would pay pay that if the BGB box & hydro is good I put a V koeler in one & don't like it because it blows the heat back on you as you mow the only good thing its for is winter work. besides I'm a lot more comfortable on my b112 I ended up buying the hole back end of a b212 hydro from BGB box on back & changed mine to a hydro (if you just wanting a hydro) & I like the old B a lot better.

An 80 year old friend of mine that runs a fixit shop patches the blocks of these engines repairs what else needs to be done at less cost than replacing it and reinstalls them. Todate he has not had a problem nor a come back.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
An 80 year old friend of mine that runs a fixit shop patches the blocks of these engines repairs what else needs to be done at less cost than replacing it and reinstalls them. Todate he has not had a problem nor a come back.
Maynard, What does he patch them with? or welding? -Don

quote:
Originally posted by cahickm2
Is it still worth the price?
you could sell the cab for $400.00. It is well worth the $400.00