Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
paull

Tiller tine extensions

paull
Please pardon me in advance for being too lazy to go out to the garage to look at this better, but I have a tiller question. I have two identical 36" tillers for the Soveriegn/900 series tractors. I have read about tine extensions previously in the old ad brochures on this site. Is it possible to remove a section or two from one of my tillers and add to the other to make one wider tiller without cutting or welding? Thinking about the JD110 my dad has made me remember tilling with it and the tiller gears being offset to one side. This made it great for cultivating between rows. You can make the rows just far enough apart for the tractor and tiller and make two passes, one in each direction, and till all the ground between rows w/o the annoying "missed" spot down the center that I have when I try this with my 916H and 36" tiller with the drive gears being in the center. I thought by adding a section to one side I could create this same effect, and only have to increase the row spacing by about a foot or so. I have a very large garden and room to make it bigger so overall size is not a problem. I just absolutely hate to weed between rows and don't like using herbicides on my garden to control weeds.

Kent
Brent, I have a set of tine extensions and they look very similar to the basic tines. They fasten on the same way the regular tines do, with a pin through a spacer shaft. It looks like your idea might work, as far as connecting the tines, but do you think the additional drag on one side of the gearbox might cause a problem? I don't know if this unbalanced load would cause a problem -- but I'd wonder about it... BTW, it's hard to beat a rear-tine tiller for cultivating. I have a 5HP Troybilt Pony and I can get to within a couple inches of the plants in the row. I use the tractor-mounted tiller to prepare the soil and to turn things under in the fall, but I use this little 16" tiller to cultivate. My 2 cents.... Kent

dlcentral
I'm not too worried about the uneven drag effect as my garden is well worked "sandy-silty clay" so the tractor and tiller usually don't work that hard to begin with. A far as a rear-tine walk behind goes, that would take $ I don't have. I used to have a really old front tine Wards tiller w/ a 5HP Briggs. It ran ok but it beat you to death and had one broken wheel. I hadn't used it for about 3 years so I gave it to my nephews to use the engine on a go-cart (which worked well). Thanks, Brent

Cal
Brent, I believe the extensions were sold separate. You could buy one side or the other or both. The main difference being the cover/guard. So I don't think the "uneven" pull would be a problem. Mike.

BradW
Try one of those mantis brand power cultivators,my grandfather bought one and they work great!!!! it cultivated well and they are a decent price, I would recomend this to anyone, good luck, -BradW