Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Choke Plate ?

PhanDad

Found the following when cleaning out the carb of the 15HP single cylinder Briggs on my recent acquisition:

Sorry for the fuzzy pics, not a good close-up camera. The small disc was rattling around in the carb; lucky it didn't get sucked into the engine. The disc is not flat as can be seen in the second photo. I'm thinking they were attached at some point in time due to the wear marks on the choke plate. Can't find a replacement choke plate locally. Questions: Any harm in installing choke plate without the disc? Harder starting in cold weather I would imagine. If I rivet the piece back together, does the concave or convex side touch the choke plate? From the markings, it appears the convex side was touching on the downstream side. Or maybe the disc was flat at one time? Thanks for your help. PS - Wonder where the fastener went? Scored cylinder?? Or expelled? Time will tell I guess.

Should have been a rivet with a spring to hold the small disc against the large disc. Mounted on the intake side so the intake vacuum will pull the small disc open against the spring tension when the engine is choked. I'd assume the rivet and spring were expelled. I doubt the cylinder was scored in any event.

I have a 7016 that lost that hardware too. Mine ended up wrecking the piston - crushed the upper ring land down, beat up the cylinder head, and the stuck ring then scored the cylinder - I found very nice imprints of the old rivet on the combustion chamber side of the head. It got rebuilt. It is possible it could have just "run through" the engine and into the muffler, but for the low cost of a head gasket, I would open it up and see. I thought I bought a new choke plate/shaft assembly. Maybe you need a better local parts guy to find that stuff for you. Check your throttle shaft for play, now might be a good time to replace the whole carb. Also, buy the factory welch plug to pop back into the big opening at the back of the carb - way too many engines have been dusted over the years due to lacking or improperly installed welch plugs. Tim