Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
haykarenhardy

Not Simplicity

haykarenhardy
Where can you find replacement transaxles for lawnmowers? I have a 7 year old husqvarna with a shot transaxle, only 290 hours on it. I tried a dealer but the cost was more than the mower is worth, my wife likes the tractor which is why I would like to fix it. Stan

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Only cost effective way is to find a good one in a junk tractor. Sears of the last 5-10 years is the same as husqavarna. I beleive they are AYP products.
That's been spun off to Husqavqrna now, but they make mowers for Sears. Here is an example: http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOUS/HOUS2006/HOUS2006_O0602014.pdf

john-holcomb
Our local Husky dealer has a junk yard full of nice looking faily new machines all with bad transaxles. Is this the failure mode for these tractors? Or do they just not make em like they used to?

Chris727
quote:
Originally posted by john-holcomb
Our local Husky dealer has a junk yard full of nice looking faily new machines all with bad transaxles. Is this the failure mode for these tractors? Or do they just not make em like they used to?
Yes it seems this is a major probelm for all of the newer light-duty lawn equipment. My friend who repairs lawn equipment sees lots more transmission failures than anything else and this is on equipment that is only 1-8 years old. The aluminum transmissions are quite cheap, I had a craftsman with 6speed peerless where both halfs of the case broke, and the pinion gear stripped, I knew the history of this tractor and it was never even used to pull anything, it only mowed. There are no real bearings and not really oil, just a cakey grease (bentonite), not a good way to build a transmission IMO.

ZippoVarga
I found a 5 speed replacement for a later model Simplicity for my neighbor. It was in an MTD and since I opted to take it out of the donor my self it was only 75 clams. Had his tech spent the 10 minutes to take it out the price almost doubled. Go figure...Anyway. They are out there and if you tell them you'll turn the wrench your liable to save a ton.

ZippoVarga
I've also gotten many freebie tractors (I use that term VERY loosely) with the variable speed set up and a simple forward and reverse only on the trans axle. These fail in much the same manner as the 5 speed's do. The pinion gear wears out. Did these guys forget how to case harden? Oh..and that crap they call grease they put in them is ALWAYS pooled in areas where it does no good and leaves the gears clean as a whistle to grind them selves to an early grave. When I find a good one I put in a pint of gear oil just for good measure. I've never had one come back so I can only assume this helps liquify that junk from the factory and keep things lubed.

badbowtie
I have an MTD that I mow with and the transaxle is on its last leg. I had to take the shifter cover off a use a bungy cord to hold it in gear. Kind of "Hillbillyish" but it works.....for now. When it finally does go Ill just pull the engine and junk the rest. You can buy MTD tractors around here at auctions for under $50 all day long, but this one I got free so the bungy cord is the only fix this machine will see.

olcowhand
quote:
Originally posted by haykarenhardy
Thanks for the help, Small Engine Distributors did not have hydro - gear listed, I will keep looking. Stan
They used to have some hydro-gear models. Guess they sold them all out.