Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

any suggestions?

BroadmoorMan

Hey all. I reinstalled my 8 hp Briggs in my 728 two weeks ago and I could not get it to even turn over. I've checked the connections to everything 20 million times and they are all correct. At first I thought it was the battery but when I tried to jump it it still would not turn over. There is a new spark plug, new oil, and there is compression. But it just doesn't move. Now I am still a "beginner" on engines and electrical so I very well could be missing something very obvious. ANY idea on what to do is greatly appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by BroadmoorMan
Hey all. I reinstalled my 8 hp Briggs in my 728 two weeks ago and I could not get it to even turn over. I've checked the connections to everything 20 million times and they are all correct. At first I thought it was the battery but when I tried to jump it it still would not turn over. There is a new spark plug, new oil, and there is compression. But it just doesn't move. Now I am still a "beginner" on engines and electrical so I very well could be missing something very obvious. ANY idea on what to do is greatly appreciated.
Please don't take this wrong but I'm hoping your connections need a 20,000,001st check. All may be tight but it could be something is not back in the right place. First to make sure we are sharing the definitions, when you say it won't turn over you mean the starter won't move the engine at all, yes? No noises even? If so, tap a jumper cable from the positive battery terminal to the big lug on the starter. Does it attempt to turn over now? If not, you've either got a bad starter or (more likely) a bad ground connection. So let's try a different experiment. This time move the jumper cable to connect the negative battery terminal to the engine block. (it should be already anyway, but something isn't right) now try to start it with the key. If it does turn over when you tap the positive jumper to the starter then you've got a wiring fault between the positive side, the starter switch and solenoid. We can figure that out later. happy hunting! -Don