Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Snow blower performance in wet snow

I have a 1966 Broadmower and would like to get a snow blower but need to know how well they perform with wet snow like we had in New Jersey early this week. I thought that single stage blowers didn't do well with wet snow. Does anyone have any experience with this? Best Regards Geoffrey W.

lboy1971
Supposedly, a picture is worth 1000 words.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/3112h_or_3116h.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/3112h_or_3116h.htm[/a]

AGCO918
After running my 717 Broadmoor with a blower in wet snow. I find that running the engine speed at full and in low gear on the trans. It seems to work great. No complaints here at all. It also helps to spray the inside of your blower with a graphite. Just a few thoughts from a tractor in Milwaukee. KS

John_RI
I have a '66 landlord 2012 and used a single stage blower in Southern Rhode Island for about 4 years - it did the job but did have quite a struggle with wet snow. I've since found a plow and find it much easier and faster to clear the driveway. I keep the blower ready for the "big one" but I think for 95% of what we get here the plow is the champ. John(RI)

BillT
I have a 38" blower on my B-212 and it worked great on the 22" we got here in North Western CT this week. With a plow you just run out of room to pile it up.

richp
I have a 200' sidewalk that the plows build up to over 2 feet of heavy wet snow. I tried plowing it one time and that was the last. The snow just had nowhere to go. Now i use my landlord with the snowblower and it cuts right through it. I also spray a lot of silicon spray in the shute before i go out.

Thanks guys for the input. KrisSever your photo is convincing, although maybe a low powered 7HP Broadmower might not perform as well. The 707 I have has a plow, as was suggested by the dealer when my dad purchased it in 1966, but it has a hard time with heavy snow. It also does not have wheel weight which may be why it spins its tires/chains when pushing heavy snow. Thanks again. Geoffrey W.

PGL
I have a 42" single stage on my 97 Sovereign and it work great I to spray the shute with silicon or pam cooking spray I think the pam works realy well