Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help..It's me again

scrowba

Thanks for all the other tips. Now I have another problem today. Went to start the 4040 with Onan 16 1/2 HP engine and she wont stay running. When she turns over and I release the key back to the run position she stops. If I turn her over and hold the key in the start position it continues to run, but once I let go and the key goes back to the run position, she stalls. Any Ideas?? Thanks

It sounds like you could have a bad ignition switch. The ignition might be sending a ground to the coil and shutting it down. That is just one possibility, another is a short in your wiring harness somewhere shorting to ground. That is just where I would start looking. you can find the wiring diagrams under common questions. Oh and it would be a great idea to get out your multimeter before you start troubleshooting.Have fun Josh

anyone know if this is a battery ignition machine or a magneto? I haven't figured out how to find schematics unless you know the mfr #. -Don

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Duckman and joshuaareed, Got my new ignition switch from my Simplicity dealer today, put it in and off she went. Missed the use of her last weekend, but she will get a work out this weekend. 8D