Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I got beat today

ka9bxg

Took 2 of my tractors to a local church picnic today for a tractor pull. It was a pull with what you mow. I had ag tires on my wonderboy 700 and put some on the 7116 also. Turned out the rules are that with lug tires you are put in the unlimited class. I tell you that a wonderboy 700 and a 7116 doesnt do as well as a JohnDeer or a Kobota 4wheel drive but on a clay track with the tires a foot off the ground it sure puts on a show. No I did not place in the top 2 but it was fun and got a lot of looks driving with the front wheels off the ground. It was fun and will do it again at our local show in Luxemburg.Just for fun is great fun. Bob

That is why I always tell people to read the rules first, before doing any kind of tractor preparation. I have seen people do some very expensive things to their tractors, only to find that they must then compete in a higher level class where they really do not stand a chance. By reading the rules you can put your tractor where it will work best. Depending on the rules, you may want to bolt some weight up under the front of the chassis to hold that front end on the ground. I'll bet the winners have something like that. That is probably why their front wheels stayed on the ground.

Rod, You said a mouth full. I have seen hundreds of dollars spent on a tractor only to show up at the pull and not be allowed because the modifications are outside the rules. This also leads to mad people and hard feelings. All tractor pulling should be just what Bob said lots of fun, at least at the armature level. Most rules are designed to insure a safe pull, no one fool yourself even though its only a garden tractor it can and will come over on you faster than you can stop it. I recomend that you never pull without wheelie bars whether the rules call for them or not. My 2 cents. JW

I'm not sure I understand all the physics of pulling. If the connection to the sled is lower than the axle will it still have the ability to flip? Just curious, the extent of my pulling is a plow. -Don

Pulling is a lot of fun we enjoy going every chance we get. Rules differ from club to club and some times these rules conflict with other groups. Our group requires a working guvnor. The club we pulled with the other night said you could run guvnor wide open. Kinda hard to compete some times out of your comfort zone. Having fun out of your comfort zone even better.