Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

64 landlord broke the axle

gtjeff

Afternoon fellow Trac(tor) stars, I am a newbie to this site. my 64 landlord broke the axle spacer and damaged the axle tube.(tube with the grease fitting inside of the rear differential, Split that in 2 pieces and damaged the next inner tube) This can only be replaced by removing the rear end and disassembling the transmission?

Jeff- First, welcome to the site, and please consider joining the club by paying the dues as that will allow you to post sad pictures of your broken axle and to get access to more of the site. Second, yes, in general you have to pull the transmission in order to replace the part. More to the point, that's going to be a hard part to find, and expensive. In terms of labor and cost it is probably easier to get another donor tractor and use the rear end from that. You're new here and the idea of owning several tractors may not have hit you yet, but it will. You don't mention what transmission you've got in your landlord. You'd need a part from the same transmission I think. UCD could answer that, he and others have a complete service manual set in their head. Finally, for the club, I can see where eventually where we're going to have to learn to fix even these awkward parts as we'll run out of donors. -Don

In reply to your other question, Jeff: No, a heavy old Landlord isn't the functional equivalent of a 4WD ATV. It doesn't have independantly sprung axles and isn't well suited to bouncing on rough terrain. That might have something to do with why your axle broke. It has its own advantages of course. Mine was more a fatigue crack I think. -Don

I found this Lanlord at a flea market in Almont Michigan. The price was $400.00 with the rototiller and 42" sickle bar. It was missing the pulley for the PTO which I purchased. The main purpose was to cut tall weed/plant growth on deer hunting property I have the luxury of using. It cut a flat 1 acre in 1 hour. Quite impressively for a 43 year old machine. After that I hit the back of the 26 acre field. The terrain had been turned over years. There were many 8 inch deep ruts. Going with them was not too bad. I did get stuck due to the lower ground clearance caused by the sickle bar attachment. I had rocked it from reverse to second. A few times I had to pull it backwards using the belt for the tiller. (sickle bar turned off) I cleared the end of the field no problem yet. I was amazed at the workout this machine sustained. (for a while) While cutting more tall grass on uneven terrain I lost all movement. I looked and saw that the right axle spacer was in 2 pieces. The pre-breaking condition damaged the inner axle tube also. So now I go "tractor part" hunting. Not as much fun as deer hunting. So the moral of the story is avoid the "real rough" stuff and stay on level ground?

you got a good deal on that tractor with the sickle bar. I'm hoping one of the parts gurus here will weigh in as without pictures I'm a little lost. (axle spacer?) How bad is the damage on the inner shaft? I think you need someone to disk those back acres with a full sized tractor.

Jeff, I also would welcome you. Quite often on the want adds here are axle or old tractors with no motor. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to replace the rear end with a used one than to fix it with new parts.

After the Landlord stopped movement I looked at the rear end. On the right side (between the differential and the rear end) I saw a broken piece (an inch wide). It had the grease fitting on it. One half of it was removable by hand. That is why I thought there was a spacer(that broke) and an inner axle tube still intact but damaged on the end (started flaring) From looking at the part manual it is difficult to find these parts. (page 16 shows the 2 parts without a # coming out of the rear end w/Y & U arrowed to it, 1 short spacer 1 long tube) Looking at the transmission page 26 it looks like parts labeled CJ and maybe CB (if these 2 pieces stick out of the transmission) My original thought was to remove wheel and differential. Remove and replace these 2 axle tubes (?). Back in business. It may be a while now. (shhh! I am working on buying a rear end) What about the large spring wire (clip?) on the inner side of the differential? I do not see that part shown anywhere? My check is in the may so I will soon be a paying member. I know I will get my $10.00 worth of fun. Thank you all for the warm welcome! Jeff

Jeff- At least some of these transmission parts are still available from Simplicity. Try THAT on your 64 Chevy pickup! But when I broke my axle tube I found I could buy a whole rear end for the cost of the tube, and that doesn't include labor. Keep your damaged one, maybe with luck you'll break the left side next time! -Don

The tube axle from Simplicity lists for about $100. What breaks the tube axle is worn parts, usually the key gets rounded from so much back and forth and eventually tries to roll in the keyway, and breaks the tube axle. The solid axle may still be OK. But it must be reassembled with good tight keys with very little play or you will be doing this repair again. 9 years ago I started tractor pulling with these tractors. I did not go through the axle or differential. I broke the diff on the 2nd pull and the tube axle and right side gear case on the 8th pull. I rebuilt everything with good tight keys - no play, and I now have over 500 hooks with just 1 failure (broke a solid axle). And pulling is hard on the axles and differentials.

quote:
Originally posted by gtjeff
I found this Lanlord at a flea market in Almont Michigan. The price was $400.00 with the rototiller and 42" sickle bar. It was missing the pulley for the PTO which I purchased.
HEY NOW. cuttin into my terf are ya. i did'nt know of a flea market in almont. i go right near there to the armada flea market , but have'nt been in a couple years. nice price on your landlord. when you become a member were gonna need some pics of that tractor over at the show & tell forum .