Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO adapter

npalen

Wondering what you folks do to adapt the small female PTO on a Allis 720 or powermax to a 540 RPM male spline. Does someone make an adapter for this.

There is an adapter made by ARK for this, they come up on ebay rarely I have only seen 2 of them on ebay in 4 years. I got one of them.:D Try this # 1690191

Sounds like I need to make my own. Another question on this subject: What rpm does the 720/Powermax Onan need to run to produce 2000 RPM at the PTO?

You can not just adapt 2000 rpm spinning tractor and hook a 540 rpm attatchment to it unless you want lots of little parts of the said attatchment flying all over the place, the ARK adapter is the only wat to go unless you can rig a 4:1 reducing gear off the back, but I would try to find the ark adapter It wont be cheep if you find it

If you contemplate making one this post (copied from mytractorforum) does the math. I'd think you'd want to enclose the chain drive in a dust proof box, but that's typical of the differences between MTD and Simplicity I guess. --------------------------------------------- "This may help. If you want to make a speed reducer here is the information from MTD. With a speed of 2000 RPM to a 8 tooth sprocket, chain drive to 15 tooth on the same shaft as the 15 you have an 8 tooth with a chain to 16 tooth which is the output drive of 540 RPM. This is something that can be fabricated as pictured with bearing supports. You would make this for the rear PTO with a straight shaft to this box."

if your engine is rated full HP at 3600rpm engine speed, it doesn't put out half HP even at 1800rpm (PTO would be 1000) under load. (I think, never actually put one on a dyno). So you won't have much power available to run your generator. If it is a small generator and a large engine, maybe - but the engine also doesn't cool very well at low RPM.