Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

reseal or not to reseal, that is the question?

DoubleT

The hydrostatic motor seems to be leaking on my AC312H right where it bolts on to the reduction drive. What's everyones experience, if I'm going that far do I reseal the pump and motor assy or just the output shaft of the motor. And now if your're that far do you do the seals in the reduction unit as well. I've got a manual and parts breakdown from Jensales and they list a pump and motor seal kit. Does anyone know if they are still available. I tried to cross some of the seal and bearing # at work, but none are in our crosses. The hydro unit is a vickers T66X (stamped on the end of the valve block). Any opinions and suggestions would be great Thanks Dean

Dean, Most comon leak is in the pintle shaft on the front side of the hydro. The oil runs down dround the case. There is a srevice bulletin about having the case machined out and bushings put in. The shafts are steel against the cast iron case. Installing bronze bushings fixes forever. Don't use oilite bushings as they are porus and the oil will weep through them. Also you need to have the machinest center on where the o-ring seats as this is the unworn portion of the case and if you don't bore from there you will move the hole. Not good. I did a post on this quite a while ago and if you do a search should provide more insight on the subject. Good luck, Al

Dean, My HB212 with Vickers leaks (I think) in the same place. Mine leaks into the transaxle, so my transaxle is filled with hydro fluid. I use about 2 quarts a year so I have elected not to fix it until its gets much worse. Mine seems to leak out the brake shaft. My pintle shaft does not leak. I would not replace bearings or seals unless I had to remove them or they are definitely a problem. I haven't had good luck with changing things just to change them. i.e. I changed all bearings in mower deck (they were getting a little noisy and over 15 years old), after two weeks all the new bearings failed and I had the old ones back in and they are still in (15 years later). IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Good Luck, Mike