Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Landlord/Sovereign

gtjeff

Can any one tell me if the drive train is basically the same between a 1964 landlord and a 1969 Sovereign? I looked at a picture they basically look the same. I looked at a transmission/rear end manual appear similar. There is a Sovereign for sale. Perhaps I just need to buy this one instead of repairing my Landlord for now. Jeff

There are quite a few differences. The sovereign will have a different bevelgear box and the transmission is likely set up for variable speed, the variable speed tractors have a longer frame,

If the Sovereign is in running condition, your attachments should fit right on it... As Chris pointed out, the Sovereign should be a variable-drive, 3 speed tranny, while the Landlord is just a standard three-speed. The transmissions aren't directly interchangeable because the variable speed uses a different, longer input shaft. Similarly, the bevel gear boxes are different, because the variable speed has a matching longer output shaft on the bevel gear box also. The Sovereign should be a 12Hp, a significant increase from the 9Hp in the '64 Landlord...

quote:
Originally posted by Kent The Sovereign should be a 12Hp, a significant increase from the 9Hp in the '64 Landlord...
Ummm Jeff, that doesn't mean you can do the furrow jumping thing 33% faster. sm06

"Furrow Jumping" I like that! And now for or our next feat of danger is: "Jeff and his furrow jumping 64 Simplicity Landlord Tractor!" Oh darn he broke the axle tube again.