Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax starter

blackfarms1

Hello all, was wondering if it is possible to get the starter off without completely removing the engine? Also any tips or tricks would be very helpful. When you turn key solenoid just clicks. When you short the battery lead on solenoid to the small wire it does the same thing...so I figure it is time for a starter rebuild. Thanks in advance. Sean

Sean- I sent you a PM to the same effect, a solenoid can fail such that it clicks but doesn't pass juice. I'm not sure if you can get at the hot lead on the starter safely, if so try jumping that to the battery (+) terminal. (if the solenoid is not integral to the starter). I know on the 4040 you have to pull the engine, don't know about the others. -Don

Remove the engine, then remove the fan shroud and flywheel. Then you can get to the bolts that hold the bracket flange addapter that holds the starter on.

I remember having to pull the engine, and some shrouding but left the flywheel in place. I used a ratchet strap to hold the cltch pedal down, popped the belts off the pully, pulled the rear pto hookup, then unbolted the engine and tipped it forward to pull the belt off the loader pump Biggest problem was removing all the greasy crud to find the bolts on the starter. I had to under cut the insulation between the copper segments of the commutator (broken off hacksw blade worked great) and then emmery cloth the contact surfaces. The brushes were pretty short, but it worked when put back together and has held up to intermittant use for the last 2 years

Sean Although reading the repair manual may sound like pulling the engine seems a lot of work, once you start it will go very quickly. This also gives you access to areas of other problems before they start. For example, I believe there is a grease fitting somewhere,(perhaps on the steering or clutch?) that otherwise you may not know of. After removing the starter on my 9020, I found the solenoid was packed with grass and rust from water, I tend to think the previous owner used a garden hose rather compressed air to remove grass clipping after mowing. I also (as Arnoldir said) do not remember having to remove the flywheel. Good luck and let us know what you find the problem to be. Ben

Don't forget to remove the connections of the regulator and rectifier before raising the engine. You wouldn't want to break those pricey things.

Try using a hammer to hold the clutch down when pulling the bolts. A framing hammer fits just right the claw hooks the foot rest and the head holds the pedal down Mike