Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got Duals

MikeG

Picked up a set of 6 X 12 tires and rims at a swap meet. To make the spacer I rolled a piece of 1/8 X 2" flat stock and got 1/2 X 8" carriage bolts.

All finished, ready to mow my ditch.

I was going to make a set that way, but my friend sold his metal roller before I made the bands. If I had known it was for sale, it would have been mine. Keep us posted on how those work. I was wondering if they would work loose over time.

Cut the ditch in front today and rode all around the yard, and had no problems with the bolts working loose. When I get the new rims painted the bolts will get nylock nuts installed. I think that the outer rims need some kind of cover over the center hole I'm thinking that a nice plate made of stainless steel would look nice, kind of dress it up alittle. I got the idea from an ad on E-bay, but they were kind of expensive, what I did was a G-job if you know what I mean.;)

The original wheels on a 700 did not have grease caps, or at least the ones from my 61 Wards did not have the caps. No place for them on the wheel.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeG
I think that the outer rims need some kind of cover over the center hole I'm thinking that a nice plate made of stainless steel would look nice, kind of dress it up alittle. I got the idea from an ad on E-bay, but they were kind of expensive, what I did was a G-job if you know what I mean.;)
See this JC Whitney page for lots of ideas on wheel center caps. the 5x4.5 is a common Ford/Dodge wheel pattern... http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003857/p-2003857/N-111+10201+600003841/c-10101 Note that there's several pages of them, including these: [img]http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_13859G_SW_1.gif[/img]

I bought a set off ebay that were machined from a piece of drainage ditch PVC of some sort. They never came loose while I had them mounted to the Sovereign and the stability was impressive to say the least. If you have some fuel line you can slice it and fit it over the inside and outside of the ring to help protect the rims.